Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Outdoor Gear > Video & Photography
 Filming your own hunts >

Filming your own hunts

Community
Video & Photography Tips, tricks, and suggestions for videotaping and photographing your hunts.

Filming your own hunts

Old 07-29-2008, 08:10 PM
Spike

Default Filming your own hunts

Anyone film there own hunts and how hard is it I'm going to try it for the frist time this up coming hunting season.
Old 07-29-2008, 09:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Filming your own hunts

michiganwhitetails74 can give u some tips on filming by yourself, thats pretty much all he does
Old 07-29-2008, 10:55 PM
Typical Buck

Here are some pointers:
http://www.pronghornproductions.net/tapingyourownhunts.htm
Old 07-30-2008, 12:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Good pointers lungbuster. Obviously your going to need a tree arm. You get what you pay for there...i would definately look at at least spending a couple hundred bucks if you want something that will get quality footage. The lone wolf/pine ridge arms work, but they are loud, small, and shaky as hell
Old 07-30-2008, 05:53 PM
Spike

ORIGINAL: hunt75

Anyone film there own hunts and how hard is it I'm going to try it for the frist time this up coming hunting season.
Follow the pointers lungbuster posted and then get out now to practice before the season starts. Obviously you can't shoot anything yet (at least in my State) but you can practice the set-up and test your equipment out before the real deal.

It's a LOT of fun!

JIM
Old 07-30-2008, 07:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Filming by yourself takes practice... and knowledge ....which is listed in Lungbusters pointers link on his site...

If I could say one thing....Make sure you have an arm that can handle your camera..and that its quiet......And above all....you need to develop an instinct that will allow you to see the moment and kill... as it comes together..... When the deer enters your shooting area you need to have your plan in place on where and when you want to make it happen...

Everything should come natural to you....Sometimes when I watch my videos back I wonder how I got away with what I did...

1) Try to imagine the plan in place and work your magic..While working the camera... "say to yourself ".... "I'm going to kill this deer when he passes that ash tree" Leave yourself some lead time with the camera in front of the deer...just in case he moves more than you figured...At the moment of truth....pull away, get your release, and start to draw....

2) Also - Keep a minimum zoom and only make movements when you think the deer will not see you...

Keep the camera, release & bow close to you...so you can operate all of the equipment tight to you body with minimum movements...

(Filming over bait?) When you hear the first branch break...hit record and point the cam at the bait pile....SIMPLE.