Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Outdoor Gear > Video & Photography
 For thos ewho have filmed others in a tree.... >

For thos ewho have filmed others in a tree....

Community
Video & Photography Tips, tricks, and suggestions for videotaping and photographing your hunts.

For thos ewho have filmed others in a tree....

Old 06-29-2008, 04:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default For thos ewho have filmed others in a tree....

What is your set-up like? 2 treestands in the same tree, different trees? Do you use climbers or hang on's? Do you get there at a earlier hour to give your self more time to set-up? How do you determine where to mount your camera? Add anything else I am missing.
Old 06-29-2008, 05:52 PM

Default RE: For thos ewho have filmed others in a tree....

We usually do alot or prescouting and set up permanent 2 man sets on land that we have access on. The permanent setups we use lock ons, we look for the right location with a good run to hunt then pick a good tree 20 yds. off the run. Look for a good setup with plenty of natural cover and cut shooting lanes as necessary. Our stands are setup where the best cover will be, so it could be 12' or 20' to the base stand, then we set another above it about 6' higher. We set the stands at about 45 degrees from each other, and you may need to adjust the height of the stands to fit the hunter's height. We put the cameraman in the upper stand, and we use a Hunter Cam Cradle tree arm that is strapped to the tree and removed as we leave and set up each day out. We use the same setup with climbers as well but the only difference is we clamp the Hunter Cam Cradle tree arm to the shooting rail of the climber and that is really nice! With the climbing setup, let the camera man climb up first and get setup, then the hunter will climb up and set up, this way you don't run the risk of falling into the hunter while trying to setup. Usually with climbers we get up pretty high as you will most likely be in a bare tree to be able to climb so need the height to stay stealthy with all of that mass outline of 2 guys. Also one thing to note.... There is alot of gear to haul that gets heavy for the camera man, I pack all of mine into a good back pack with seperate compartments, etc., and I would guess that it weighs 20-30 lbs., so this is very heavy to haul up to the stand!! I bought a length of actual 3/8" rope and tied some knots in it to use as hand grips to haul the load up, otherwise it could slip right through your hands and fall down with all of that expensive equipment in it!! I send the camera itself up seperate so it is light and easy to pull up, and I don't do this till I'm setup with the arm attached and everything ready to go first then the camera comes up and attached right away to the mount!! Don't want to run the risk of dropping the camera while trying to setup everything else! There is alot of extra work involved in filming a hunt, so I always allow an extra 45 min. to an hour to pack in and setup! Better to be too early than too late!! If you have a spot with a forked tree where you can set up seperate that will work sometimes as well, just make sure that your vantage point is not too conflicting with the hunters so you can get good footage and have an opportunity for him to shoot and you also have the animal in view! The climber set ups are very comfortable!! Just take alot more time.
Old 06-29-2008, 08:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: hoosierhunter2

We usually do alot or prescouting and set up permanent 2 man sets on land that we have access on. The permanent setups we use lock ons, we look for the right location with a good run to hunt then pick a good tree 20 yds. off the run. Look for a good setup with plenty of natural cover and cut shooting lanes as necessary. Our stands are setup where the best cover will be, so it could be 12' or 20' to the base stand, then we set another above it about 6' higher. We set the stands at about 45 degrees from each other, and you may need to adjust the height of the stands to fit the hunter's height. We put the cameraman in the upper stand, and we use a Hunter Cam Cradle tree arm that is strapped to the tree and removed as we leave and set up each day out. We use the same setup with climbers as well but the only difference is we clamp the Hunter Cam Cradle tree arm to the shooting rail of the climber and that is really nice! With the climbing setup, let the camera man climb up first and get setup, then the hunter will climb up and set up, this way you don't run the risk of falling into the hunter while trying to setup. Usually with climbers we get up pretty high as you will most likely be in a bare tree to be able to climb so need the height to stay stealthy with all of that mass outline of 2 guys. Also one thing to note.... There is alot of gear to haul that gets heavy for the camera man, I pack all of mine into a good back pack with seperate compartments, etc., and I would guess that it weighs 20-30 lbs., so this is very heavy to haul up to the stand!! I bought a length of actual 3/8" rope and tied some knots in it to use as hand grips to haul the load up, otherwise it could slip right through your hands and fall down with all of that expensive equipment in it!! I send the camera itself up seperate so it is light and easy to pull up, and I don't do this till I'm setup with the arm attached and everything ready to go first then the camera comes up and attached right away to the mount!! Don't want to run the risk of dropping the camera while trying to setup everything else! There is alot of extra work involved in filming a hunt, so I always allow an extra 45 min. to an hour to pack in and setup! Better to be too early than too late!! If you have a spot with a forked tree where you can set up seperate that will work sometimes as well, just make sure that your vantage point is not too conflicting with the hunters so you can get good footage and have an opportunity for him to shoot and you also have the animal in view! The climber set ups are very comfortable!! Just take alot more time.
Thanks Hoosier!!!!
Old 06-29-2008, 08:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

This is awesome Hoosier...I have learning alot from this post!
Old 07-02-2008, 10:14 PM
Fork Horn

I prefer to have the camera man in a tree directly next to the hunter or slightly to the side and behind. In seperate trees, the cutaways of the hunter look better cause you are more even instead of looking straight down at the hunter. I started using this stand www.guidosoutdoors.comlast year for the camera man it's a very comfy stand, and allows for the use of the hunter cam cradle but does limit your mobility a bit with the cradle. The advantage is a lower profile since you face the tree. The tree helps concela the camera man from game out front, also it is very quiet and can be hung in nearly any tree wehre a single place stand is already unlike climbers or most loc-ons. I'm pulling all of my 2 stand sets this year and splitting them up so that the camera man will be using the guido's web at all stand locations.
Old 07-03-2008, 05:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Pretty much sums my thoughts up! It's all about taking your time even if it means getting up an extra hour early. The rewards of a good setup and awesome footage are well worth it!
Old 07-03-2008, 10:15 PM
Typical Buck

I always try to get in the same tree as the hunter, it's way easier to communicate if you have the shot or not.........I position the camera stand 1/2-2/3rds of the way between the platform and the seat of the hunter stand at a 45degree angle to it, depending on the set up and the hunter i like to be on the same side as their dominant hand (ie: left handed = left side) that way i can get over the shoulder shots,cut aways are not too important to me as I think in alot of cases they are cheesy and not done well, but you can generally get good footage being in the same tree if you extend your cam. arm out away from the hunter and the tree.
Old 07-04-2008, 09:49 AM

ORIGINAL: lungbuster12point06

I always try to get in the same tree as the hunter, it's way easier to communicate if you have the shot or not.........I position the camera stand 1/2-2/3rds of the way between the platform and the seat of the hunter stand at a 45degree angle to it, depending on the set up and the hunter i like to be on the same side as their dominant hand (ie: left handed = left side) that way i can get over the shoulder shots,cut aways are not too important to me as I think in alot of cases they are cheesy and not done well, but you can generally get good footage being in the same tree if you extend your cam. arm out away from the hunter and the tree.
BINGO!!! Communication is key!! 2 seperate trees have 2 different perspectives on the game and shot, and can be risky. I've not set down that close to the hunter, usually leave room for him to be able to shoot to either side if necessary, but I do like the thought of being able to film over his shoulder if possible. I may try this one time and see how I like it.
Old 07-04-2008, 09:59 PM
Typical Buck

I rarely do pre-sets... I like to catch the deer by surprise. I also pick the exact set up and tree the day of the hunt based on many factors such as wind direction and how the sign dictates they are moving now... Picking the tree set more based on the hunters perspective seems to result in more kills but worse footage.
I prefer to have the camera man in the same tree for same view as the hunter and for communication. But often we end up in different trees due to cover or tree shape, and try to communicate before the deer show up where the camera is blocked from view... To me, the hunt and kill are more important than the footage, and the footage is the bonus, not a necessity.
Old 07-05-2008, 05:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

great post and lol i have had to put knots in my rope 2 after several rope burns on my hands lol

Quick Reply: For thos ewho have filmed others in a tree....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.