Community
Video & Photography Tips, tricks, and suggestions for videotaping and photographing your hunts.

DSLR camera users ?

Old 06-15-2008, 01:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default DSLR camera users ?

I bow hunt an want to purchase a DSLR camera. What lense do you use while you are bow hunting to take pics of deer in the woods? I hunt in areas where most of my camera shots would be in the 20 to 50 yard range. What do you suggest?
Old 06-16-2008, 07:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: DSLR camera users ?

I use a 50-200 mm lens which seems to work pretty well in those situations that you described. You can try a 300 mm lens (Nikon makes a nice 75-300 VR lens if you have a Nikon body) that's relatively inexpensive and works pretty well. The only issue I know people have run into is that your pictures aren't quite as clear as they could be at 300 mm when you're hand-holding the camera. When you start getting that far out it's really nice to be on a tripod for the best shots.

This buck was about100 yards out when I snapped this photo.

This buck was about 50 yards when I snapped this one. (It's cropped and color corrected)

And these does were probably 75 yards when I took this one.

Old 06-16-2008, 08:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

For starting out you can get the 400D and a 100-400L IS. If you get Canon make sure you get lenses w/IS. If you goNikon make sure you buy lenses w/VR. (Same thing as IS) You rarely can have too much zoom when shooting wildlife. There's a saying, "buy cheap, buy twice" this is especially true w/cameras.The zoom will help you w/the closer shots but I can tell you from 9 years of photography experience that 95% of your shots will be at the long end of your lens. This was taken at about 90-100 yards w/a 100-400L.

Old 06-16-2008, 08:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

The only problem with the 400 mm lenses is just the cost. I know for most of the people I talk to, dropping $1,300 to $5,000 on a lens is a bit much unless you're either very serious about photography, money is not an object, or both. You're right with the "buy cheap, buy twice" thought process but if you can't drop that much coin on a lens I think a 200 mm or a 300 mm lens is sufficient for most people.
Old 06-16-2008, 10:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Justin

The only problem with the 400 mm lenses is just the cost. I know for most of the people I talk to, dropping $1,300 to $5,000 on a lens is a bit much unless you're either very serious about photography, money is not an object, or both. You're right with the "buy cheap, buy twice" thought process but if you can't drop that much coin on a lens I think a 200 mm or a 300 mm lens is sufficient for most people.
It's not cheap I agree-and a cheaper lens will allow you to 'capture the moment' butthat's about it. IMO.I just don't believe in buying stuff twice. Just save and get what you need. A $99 CVA Buckhorn ML will kill deer just as dead as a $800 Knight Long Range Hunter but people spend money on those w/out even thinking twice. To each his own of course. But AR Bowhunter asked for my opinion and that's what I suggest.

Plus, it's hard to disagree w/a guy who's Profile Pic is Dwight Schrute. In fact one of my bosses is coming back from vacation tomorrow to find his name tag and favorite pen in jello.
Old 06-19-2008, 04:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for the comments the pics helped me alot in my choices.