Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Outdoor Gear > Video & Photography
 Filming and Hunting by yourself? >

Filming and Hunting by yourself?

Community
Video & Photography Tips, tricks, and suggestions for videotaping and photographing your hunts.

Filming and Hunting by yourself?

Old 06-08-2008, 12:26 PM
Typical Buck

Default Filming and Hunting by yourself?

I am thinking of trying to film some of my hunts this year and just curious what some of you recommend for someone doing this? I will somewhat limited on the amount of money for a camera but want to have decent footage. Thanks for the help.
Old 06-08-2008, 12:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Filming and Hunting by yourself?

what kinda tips do u want, like how to do it or what gear to get? sorry didnt understand the question
Old 06-08-2008, 12:44 PM
Typical Buck

Sorry about that. I am curious about what type of camera and what other equipment I may need to get this done.
Old 06-08-2008, 12:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

your going to need a tree camera arm, for cheap ones that would work well for what your doind look at the cabelas or bass pro website and they sell a few good cheap ones and as for a camera, ask lungbuster, he would know lol
Old 06-08-2008, 06:38 PM
Fork Horn

Tell Me what you mean by "limited amount of money for a camera"? $300, $1000, $4000? In the lower range a Panasonic PV-GS320 will give decent footage, but lacks an external mic capabilities. If you are looking in the $1000-$1500 range then you have alot of options. I like the Sony VX2000 I use with a wireless mic. On the high-end other guys can fill you in better than I.

Good Luck
Jayson
Old 06-08-2008, 09:52 PM
Fork Horn

somewhat limited..... That could mean alot of different stuff. If you're looking at less than $400 then look at the sony handicams. You can get one for $300. They are consumer quality but used on a tree arm with a remote control for manual focus they produce great results. I've used a good bit of footage from a sony HC21 on my show and no one ever noticed it.

If you have $1000 to spend then look at some of the new HD harddrive cams. Sony and canon have alot of nice ones in this range that have near broadcast quality. I have limited experience with them, but they look like great options. Also in this price range are used pro-sumer cams like the canon gl2 and xl1, sony vx2000 and possibly a pd150. All these are 3 chip cams that produce proffesional broadcast quality. All these can be had between $800-$1400 used.

Next would be the $3000 price range. Canon xha1 would be my choice (it's what I recently stepped up to for my show). It's an awesome camera and fairly easy to operate. Biggest drawback is that it's a hand held cam that has to be used on tripod or tree arm. It has the best low light capabilities out there and a 20x zoom.

Make certain you get a good tree arm. The hunter cam cradle is a good option for all the camera's listed above except the xl. It's just a bit bouncy with the heavier xl camera. I use a bogen 501 fluid head, but the one that comes on the hunter cam pro will work with the above mentioned cams. Good luck!
Old 06-09-2008, 06:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

90 % of my videos are with me, a camera, and a camera arm....

Everyone has their opinions and I guess I'll give you mine and what works for me...but I have a long way to go...

If you want to guarantee your first kill this year...on your own...with no camera shake....I'd do this....if you're looking at low cost...

1) Any camera Hi 8 to a standard mini DV will do(tough with low light though)
2) Buy a camera arm like Steven said, I use the Gorilla ARM

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10151&catalogId=10001&a mp;langId=-1&partNumber=49534&hvarTarget=search&c mCat=SearchResults

3) Remember...I'm saying to guarantee your first kill on vid on your own....drop some bait down to hold the deer for you...not sure of your baiting regulations or your opinions on this...but this is the key to secure and hold a deer still for your first production.

I do not have the elite set-up but it works well...

I currently make video productions with a
Panasonic AG-DVC 30 3CCD mini DV with Azden wireless mics, currently doing the trick with pinnacle studio 11 but working to upgrade to Adobe....

You can see a few of my clips at http://www.huntingworkshop.com/Videos/tabid/56/Default.aspx

If you decide on a gorilla arm or any other Archery Accessories email [email protected]and tell him Brian said you wouldtake care of you witha camera arm for less then cabelas or bass pro....probably about 35 bucks...Rick is a great guy and he owns http://www.northernrecreation.com/

Have fun man!! Making hunting videos will be something you will develop a passion for!!

And thats the longest post I've ever had [8D]
Old 06-09-2008, 07:38 PM
Typical Buck

Thanks for the responses everyone. To start with I am going to have to be in the $500 range. I can bait on most of the places I have to hunt on so that will probably be how I get the first on on video.

MichiganWhitetails, I will get in touch with rick about the arm. Thanks again.
Old 06-09-2008, 10:45 PM
Typical Buck

Just to get your feet wet, go with a good consumer 3ccd mini dv camera as mentioned above...........and an inexpensive tree arm, I used the pine ridge model slightly modified when I started out and it did the job.........I disagree however about bait, you can sit a field edge next to a well worn trail and get some excellent footage plus you don't have the image of a big bait pile in the footage (just my opinion, nothing against baiting).

If you would like some tips on self videoing take a look at my blog :
Pronghorn Productions

Good luck!
Old 06-10-2008, 09:41 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: lungbuster12point06

Just to get your feet wet, go with a good consumer 3ccd mini dv camera as mentioned above...........and an inexpensive tree arm, I used the pine ridge model slightly modified when I started out and it did the job.........I disagree however about bait, you can sit a field edge next to a well worn trail and get some excellent footage plus you don't have the image of a big bait pile in the footage (just my opinion, nothing against baiting).

If you would like some tips on self videoing take a look at my blog :
Pronghorn Productions

Good luck!
I agree and feel that sometimes baiting could hurt you. The deer I have encountered around bait are always extra jumpy and alert. They know it isn't natural and there are rarely all eyes down. I'd use a natural food source such as acorns. It will accomplish the same goal and put the deer at ease.

I employ baiting, so I'm certainly not against it, but I feel it could work against you while filming.

Good luck.

Quick Reply: Filming and Hunting by yourself?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.