Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Outdoor Gear > Video & Photography
 MORE Shotgun Mic Help >

MORE Shotgun Mic Help

Community
Video & Photography Tips, tricks, and suggestions for videotaping and photographing your hunts.

MORE Shotgun Mic Help

Old 06-01-2008, 01:16 PM
Spike

Default MORE Shotgun Mic Help

Still looking for a shotgun mic for my Sony HDR-FX1. Couple questions that I'm hoping you guys can help answer. Most of the higher quality mics are XLR, yet most of us are using prosumer camcorders with stereo mini-jacks or some sort of XLR adapter plug. Do you loose quality when you connect your XLR mic to the camcorder using these adapters?

There are several shotgun mics using the the mini-stereo format that I'm interested in, namely the Sennheiser MKE-400 and the Rode "VideoMic". Both are getting good reviews but I'm not sure how they stack up to some of the XLR mics. If the audio is close, then it seems much easier to just use on of these "mini-mics". On the otherhand, if the XLR mic quality is that much better (even after being run through an adapter for the stereo mini plug), then I'd rather put out the extra couple buck and go with that.

Thanks for any and all input!

JIM
Old 06-02-2008, 05:57 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: MORE Shotgun Mic Help

If you want true quality sound, stay away from mini jacks and go with XLR. I have used the Rode video mic and do not recommend it. The mic itself is good but the shock mounting system sucks.........if you use a XLR adapter such as a beachtek you will not suffer any loss in audio quality, and it will allow you to use a wireless mic setup as well.
Old 06-02-2008, 09:41 PM
Fork Horn

Another reason I bought the dvx 100b. Two xlr mic inputs.
Old 06-04-2008, 11:48 PM

I agree with lungbuster - and the biggest problem with prosumer cameras (in terms of audio) is that many of them don't allow you to control audio levels very well...

I have a sennheiser ME66 which I've used with a mini-jack adapter before and have had really good results. I recommend this mic to EVERYONE.

...I also use the dvx100b! It's the bees knees...until I jump into the hvx200 or the RED! Booyah!
Old 06-08-2008, 07:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: FarNorth

Another reason I bought the dvx 100b. Two xlr mic inputs.
x2