Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Outdoor Gear > Video & Photography
 Shotgun Mic suggestions >

Shotgun Mic suggestions

Video & Photography Tips, tricks, and suggestions for videotaping and photographing your hunts.

Shotgun Mic suggestions

Old 05-21-2008, 01:08 PM
Spike

Default Shotgun Mic suggestions

I'll be purchasing a shotgun mic in June or July. Would like to know what fellow hunters are using and not some wedding videographer. My budget is tight so I need to keep it under $250. I'm using a Sony HDR-FX1

Thanks.

JIM
Old 05-21-2008, 03:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Shotgun Mic suggestions

i use an audio technica shotgun mic from cambell cameras
Old 05-21-2008, 06:18 PM

Senneheisers are always good! Also the Rode mics are good, shoot there's really plenty of choices to choose from in that price range!
Old 05-22-2008, 05:07 AM
Spike

Thanks for the input guys. Do you recommend one model over another? Also, are there certain key features that I need to make sure my mic has. For instance, I noticed some run off your camera battery, others use external batteries. I saw at least one that has a switch to control the "power" of the mic to pic up distant objects and another setting for closer work.

So far it sounds like there are lots of good options, which makes me feel a little more easy about not purchasing a "bad" one. Thanks.

JIM
Old 05-22-2008, 08:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have the rode ntg-2 and have zero complaints about it. Everyone that watches our footage compliments how well the audio sounds. You can have the best camera in the world, but if the audio is poor, then the footage is worthless.
Old 05-22-2008, 07:20 PM

I would not recommend the ones that run power from the hot shoe if you are wanting to run multiple mics, etc. I would recommend down the road getting a good wireless mic setup in conjunction your shotgun mic, so the shotgun is really for directional work.
Old 05-22-2008, 07:41 PM
Typical Buck

If you are looking for a good mic in that price range you will be limited to Azden or Rode (unless you buy used), the new sennheiser's start at $366 for the ME66s and go up from there. Unless of course ifyou are looking for a mini jack mic. then the Mke400 is in your price range.
Nothing wrong with the Azden's, I would however stay away from phantom powered only mics. as they will drain your camera battery fairly quickly.