Community
Video & Photography Tips, tricks, and suggestions for videotaping and photographing your hunts.

New Computer

Old 05-12-2008, 12:55 PM
Fork Horn

Default New Computer

Hi All,

Ok, it is time to update my computer. I am working on an ibook from 2003. For surfing the internet great...For making videos not enough juice. In our house I don't have a office, so I really want to stay with a laptop. I am looking at the New MacBook. It has 2 gigs of memory and I would be using FCE. Any thoughts?

Jake
Old 05-12-2008, 09:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: New Computer

Check out the new Imac. It is all in one, so it doesn't take up much room, but still has up to a 24" monitor and you can get it in a big internal configuration.
Old 05-14-2008, 01:44 AM
Fork Horn

The Macbook is a great choice. With 2 gigs of ram it will run fce very well. And if you ever want to upgrade to final cut studio you can add just a little more ram (4 gig total) and it will do it. Glad to see another mac user. The mac computer and apple software are the best for video work.
Old 05-14-2008, 06:38 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks far north. I was at the Apple store today looking at the iMac as well. It would be nice to have the big monitor, but I want portability, if I ever get a permanent office space in my house I will have to get some monitors to hook up to the laptop.

Jake
Old 05-15-2008, 08:49 AM
Spike

After all the issues i have had trying to download video to my laptop using usb cables etc, I am pretty much sold on getting a mac as well. I used to have a home office but it just became an area to collect clutter. Laptop are easy to move and store out of the way when u need to.
Old 05-15-2008, 06:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

I just bought a DELL XPS with 4 gig of ram and a QUAD core....its a rocket for making video..

If you go laptop I would get the fastest you can get...if you can afford it....

2 gig is iffy if you are rendering lots of video...2 gig will do but it depends on how hard you will push the PC
Old 05-15-2008, 07:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

I say this from my experience with my HP Media Center 7160N...I added another GIG of ram and it didn't cut it for speed and productivity....your set up may be fine...Good luck!
Old 05-15-2008, 07:15 PM
Fork Horn

Hi MW74,

Thanks for the answers. I saw the earlier posts about your system and I have to believe with that setup it is a FAST machine. I have not had a windows based computer (besides work) for 5 years. All my stuff is Mac based and I think I will update a new Macbook to 4 gigs of RAM. I tried messing around with my wifes Laptop with Vista and found it to be very annoying. I am not that familiar with Final Cut Express 4 yet, but if it is like other Mac software I will pick it up. I had priced out your system after I read about yours, and I see Windows xp is still available but between iPods and iPhones I just cant go back. By the way where are you located in Michigan? My wife and I live in Texas now, but are both from Mid-Michigan.

Thanks
Jayson
Old 05-16-2008, 06:58 AM
Giant Nontypical

Jake,

I've been looking at both Macs and PCs for an editing station and while all of my experience and background is in PCs the Macs look very good. My lack of familiarity is the only thing that keeps me from going that route. Well that and my software is all PC based.

If you're familiar with the Macs I'd just stay with them. As the others said that is kind of the gold standard for editing anyway.

BTW, I like your setup. It sounds just like mine.
Old 05-19-2008, 06:24 AM
Spike

If you go to BHphotovideo.com they have all sorts of turn-key systems for video editing. We're talking high-end systems but MADE for working with videos. They have both PC and Macs.

Quick Reply: New Computer

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.