Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Outdoor Gear > Video & Photography
 What do you guys enjoy more? >

What do you guys enjoy more?

Community
Video & Photography Tips, tricks, and suggestions for videotaping and photographing your hunts.

What do you guys enjoy more?

Old 04-13-2008, 06:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default What do you guys enjoy more?

Ok, I would consider myself quite a technology nut (I actually teach TECHNOLOGY education), and, well my true passion lies in digital media. I'm only in my first year teaching, but I've been building websites, creating flash projects, and doing general graphic design work since I was a senior in high school. I taught both digital photography as well as video production (with some traditional photo tossed in) during my student teaching, and fell in love with it. I took a photography course my senior year of college (last year) and learned a TON as it was all 35mm, and we did everything from developing our film, to processing, as well as special effects (burning, dodging, adding filters, etc). I'm currently in the process of trying to get myself my own equipment in the field to get some relevant experience I can bring into the classroom and place on a resume as well.

Now, to the point of my post... with what I've experienced, I really am torn with what I enjoy more between photography and videography. I love the fact that videography lends itself to NEEDING editing which allows me to bring in my creative post-production skills (Photoshop, Flash, Illustrator, After Effects, etc). Equipment can be pricey, however, so that's somewhat of a turn off.

I have MORE experience in photography than I do in videography, and I love how you can truly capture a moment in time and really get a WOW effect from just one shot. Equipment is nice in that you can spend the bulk of your $$ on quality glass where it matters, and then get a middle ground body, and over time you just keep the lenses as you upgrade bodies.

Eventually I want to be able to have both a decent video camera (we're talking prosumer here) AND a nice DSLR setup, but I'm 23, and although I have a fulltime job, I'm saving for some land and my first house, so I do have priorities. So if you guys could pick, which one would you start out with first and develop? Photography or Videography? I would love to hear ANY and ALL thoughts on this, so don't feel like you're taking sides against one or another. Thanks in advance!
Old 04-13-2008, 10:43 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: What do you guys enjoy more?

I enjoy videography way more than photography.......................but have noticed I enjoy taking stills alot more than I used to.
Old 04-14-2008, 10:39 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: What do you guys enjoy more?

No way can I choose between the two. photography is cheaper to start out with.