Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Outdoor Gear > Video & Photography
 Shotgun Mic's on cameras >

Shotgun Mic's on cameras

Video & Photography Tips, tricks, and suggestions for videotaping and photographing your hunts.

Shotgun Mic's on cameras

Old 01-31-2008, 02:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Shotgun Mic's on cameras

Do u think i need ashotgun mic or will the one that came on it be O.K.???Also do i need to buy a wireless mic???

P.S. I have a canon XAH1
Old 01-31-2008, 04:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Shotgun Mic's on cameras

If you want the best quality sound that you can get, you should be using both a wireless mic and a shotgun mic. The mic that comes on your camera is decent and works pretty well when your subject is right in front of the camera and at a relatively close distance, but unfortunately that doesn't happen too often in the hunting woods. The wireless mic not only allows the hunter's voice to be heard on tape when he's not even in the picture, but also provides a way for him to communicate effectively with the cameraman, provided he's wearing a set of headphones. The shotgun mic will allow you to pick up the sounds of nature much better, and in particular any noises your quarry may be making while it approaches. A distant buck grunting, deer running in the leaves, birds chirping, and other nature sounds really help to add to the overall quality of your production in the long run.

I'm still new to this whole video thing so I may have left something out or mis-stated something. If I did hopefully some of the more seasoned vets can help me out.
Old 01-31-2008, 04:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

ok thanx for your help
Old 02-01-2008, 06:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

He nailed it. If you drop anything you can drop the shotgun...But keep it if you can...The wireless MIC is a must. You need your voice going right into the camera....during the heat of the moment when you shake and rave about your kill...you'll feel the excitement andhear the excitement through the wireless mic....when you play it back you'll feel like your sitting in the treestand with yourself.