Community
Video & Photography Tips, tricks, and suggestions for videotaping and photographing your hunts.

Which camera to get?

Old 12-24-2007, 05:46 AM
Bartender

Default Which camera to get?

Choices are Canon Gl1, Gl2 or Xl1?Money isa object so your thoughts please.
Old 12-24-2007, 09:57 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Which camera to get?

It really depends on what you are using the camera for, will you be taping other hunters or trying to self video?

The GL2 is obviously the newer version of the GL1 so I think the choice between the two is a no brainer, especially if your buying new (GL1 is no longer made).

As for the XL1, if you ever plan to self video it would not be a good choice as there is no LCD screen on it, just an eye piece and even though you could buy an external LCD screen for it I don't feel it would be practical for hunting uses. That being said, if you plan on only taping other hunters the XL1 will give you a better quality video, but may be more camera than you need unless you are planning on producing a show or DVD for resale.

Also why are you limiting your choices to these three cameras? If you are lookingfor a good camera for low light , you will not be happy with the XL1 as low light is not the best with this model, in SD the Sony PD170 is one of the best low light cameras, I would also look at the Panasonic DVX100b as it is a great camera for the price and has the biggest LCD screen of all the cameras listed (great for self taping).

At any rate don't forget about a quality shotgun mic. to go with your camera as audio is just as important as video.

Good luck!
Old 12-24-2007, 01:32 PM
Bartender

A little of both as far as taping, mostly just for me and my brother. I see that panasonic is pretty pricey.
I have had good luck with canon products in the past. Do you think since I am just planning on using
it as a hobby maybe just some Mid range Hard drive cam made by pansonic of JVC?
Old 12-24-2007, 10:08 PM
Typical Buck

Actually the Panasonic DVX100b is less than a new XL1S and only a couple hundred more than a GL2, you should be able to get the DVX100b for $2500 or less, I think New Egg.com has them for $2399 or so. Anyway if you are going to do both self taping and videoing someone else the XL1 is not going to work for you.

I personally would stay away from hard drive as it is not as easy to capture for editing, also you have nothing backed up on tape, so if you run out of memory space you have to either upload it to your pc or have some other means of storage that gets expensive real quick. Stick with a camera in the mini dv tape format. Look for a camera that is a 3ccd, panasonic has a couple of consumer 3 chip models as does Sony, that run in the range of $650-900 probably more in your range? Also if zoom is a factor make sure to get something with a high OPTICAL zoom, DIGITAL zoom is worthless so don't even factor that in while browsing for cameras...............If hi def is something you might want Canon makes a decent consumer model that is 3ccd and has 10x optical for right around $950, A freind uses one as a back up camera and likes it fairly well I believe the model is HV 20.

What is the price range you are looking to stay within and exactly what type of features do you want the camera to have? That would narrow down your choices alot if you could give some more info.
Old 12-28-2007, 05:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

Fraley, Of your choice to be honest I would go with the GL2, I have used all three you listed and for the money the GL2 worked the best. Had alot of problems with XL1 when it even started to get cold out and moistier you might as well stay in from from hunting if it is foggy or raining. Like said above if you are serious about this I would look for a used Sony PD170 it is by far the best low light and moistier is no problem we have been out in down pours and I filmed the other day when it was 1 degree actall temp outside and no problems with it and it will only run you a couple $100 more for a used one than the GL2!!You will be glad you did. Walt
Old 01-14-2008, 09:47 PM

I have a xl-1S ANDa Panasonic 100A with a Ultra Fisheye that I am selling.

Old 01-16-2008, 08:19 AM
Fork Horn

I have a Canon XL1 for sale.