Upland Bird Hunting Whether you are into pheasants or grouse, quail or chukars, find out what you need to know here.

Dove cleaning

Old 09-02-2002, 11:11 AM

Default Dove cleaning

Can anyone explain or direct me to a website that has good info on dove cleaning? I'm pretty new to all this and need to know. Thanks!
Old 09-02-2002, 01:17 PM

Default RE: Dove cleaning

It's easy we pull the head off & wings off then poke your finger under breast and pull. Remove the skin and save the heart and gizzard if you want. Qail I clean like you would a chicken.
Gool luck.
Old 09-02-2002, 04:42 PM

I've done about 6 so far and just bagged the rest of my limit for the day. The only problem I seem to have in pulling the breast out is up by the shoulder area (where the breast connects with the wing). I'm getting it alright though. As far as cooking, are they cooked as a breast unit with the hard underside surface or is the meat removed from that first?
Old 09-02-2002, 05:01 PM

I just pluck the fethers near the breast. I take prunning sciscors or whatever those things are called and clip the wings off as close as I can. Then I rip the skin off over the breast and put some fingers in under the back of the breast and pull up and rip it off. Then I'll take a knife to it and cut the meat off the breast bone.

Nic
Old 09-02-2002, 09:32 PM
Spike

Easiest quickest way to go about this....

Grab feathers near bottom of breast make sure you grab some skin with the feathers rip up towards the head you should be able to get all the skin off the breast with one pull, pick up a pair of Kitchen sicciors and cut wings and head off, throw meat in bowl with water
Old 09-02-2002, 11:55 PM

I leave the breast bone attacthed and eat the meat off of like a t-bone. We usally cook them out doors on the grill.
Old 09-03-2002, 08:12 PM
Giant Nontypical

all i do is ripp the skin and feathers from breast(just hold it and with ur thumbs rip it out ward and it comes fine...)and put a thumb under the brest bone and pull the breast out and throw the rest out...worked for me

Old 09-04-2002, 08:14 AM

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote<font size=1 face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote> The only problem I seem to have in pulling the breast out is up by the shoulder area (where the breast connects with the wing). <hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' size=2 id=quote>Try breaking the wingbone just past the shoulder. It is the first thing that I do when I start to clean my birds and it makes it easier to remove the wings from the breast. Also, I've cut the meat from the breastbone before and it's a lot more work. It does make them easier to eat, so it depends on who I'm serving them to. Most of the time, I leave the meat on the breastbone and that makes a good place to put the onion and jalapeno.
Old 09-04-2002, 10:06 PM
Fork Horn

Seven guys, seven ways to clean dove. LOL. Humans.

Here's an eighth way (not better than yalls', just a little different).

I am real big on cleaning and cooling game, any game, even fish, as soon as its down. I miss a lot of birds during cleaning if the field is hot. But I still usually get my limit and very fine quality birds to boot.

1. Take a cooler in the field with ice and plenty of water (for drinking and cleaning hands.)

2. As soon as the bird is down and in hand I pluck feathers. This takes about a half minute. I cut out the anus, which leaves a hole. I dig index finger in hole, way in there. Then using the finger I scoop out the innards. They usually come out in a lump. (do this in your sitting area). You have a gutless, plucked bird with a head and two feet. Cut off head and feet. All this should take about a half minute. Pour a little water on soiled hand and wipe with cloth. (One minute fifteen seconds total)

3. You have a little Thanksgiving turkey on your hands. Put in plastic bag and then stuff the bag under ice to quickly get the bird cool.

4. I usually cook and serve my birds whole. Using a knife and fork, I simply cut on both sides of the breastbone, all the way down to the backbone. Then, just flip off two &quot;big&quot; chunks of breast meat.

----------------

Limited out Monday and today. Tonight I served grill dove. Here is what I did.

Yesterday I took a bunch of the birds from Monday and marinated them overnight in oil (I dunno, quarter to half a cup?), a little soy sauce, a little worchestershire, salt, pepper, a little wine vinegar. I also put a few hardwood chips in water to soak overnight.

Early this morning I turned the marinating container over and let the birds marinate until this evening.

This evening on one side of my grill I lit a small pile of coals.

While the coals were getting hot, I wrapped each bird with a strip of bacon, securing it with half of a toothpick.

When the coals were really hot, I removed the hardwood from its water, shook the water off and put it on the hot fire.

I then arranged the birds, breasts down, on the side of the grill OPPOSITE the fire. Closed the grill and waited about fifteen minutes. After fifteen minutes I used a tong to turn the birds on their backs, breasts up, and grilled another ten minutes.

Arranged the birds around a platter with a little garnish and served hot with a Cotes Du Rhone (‘99 Chateau Beaucastel).

Terribly grateful to nature.

Old 09-09-2002, 12:43 AM

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote<font size=1 face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>
Yesterday I took a bunch of the birds from Monday and marinated them overnight in oil (I dunno, quarter to half a cup?), a little soy sauce, a little worchestershire, salt, pepper, a little wine vinegar. I also put a few hardwood chips in water to soak overnight.

Early this morning I turned the marinating container over and let the birds marinate until this evening.

This evening on one side of my grill I lit a small pile of coals.

While the coals were getting hot, I wrapped each bird with a strip of bacon, securing it with half of a toothpick.

When the coals were really hot, I removed the hardwood from its water, shook the water off and put it on the hot fire.

I then arranged the birds, breasts down, on the side of the grill OPPOSITE the fire. Closed the grill and waited about fifteen minutes. After fifteen minutes I used a tong to turn the birds on their backs, breasts up, and grilled another ten minutes.

Arranged the birds around a platter with a little garnish and served hot with a Cotes Du Rhone (‘99 Chateau Beaucastel).

Terribly grateful to nature.

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' size=2 id=quote>

Man, I'm so sick of my normal recipe for doves I figured what the hell, I'll try this guy's &quot;bacon dove&quot; recipe.

Just ate it an hour ago and IT ROCKED MY WORLD. The BEST way to cook wild bird that I've ever tried.

Thank you so much for the tip--I'm saving this recipe for years to come.

Quick Reply: Dove cleaning

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.