Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Upland Bird Hunting
Looking for hunting group or partners for SDakota >

Looking for hunting group or partners for SDakota

Upland Bird Hunting Whether you are into pheasants or grouse, quail or chukars, find out what you need to know here.

Looking for hunting group or partners for SDakota

Old 08-05-2017, 08:45 PM
Spike

Thumbs up Looking for hunting group or partners for SDakota

Longtime hunter from Oregon finally retired and looking forward to hunting pheasants in South Dakota this fall. Have talked to a few lodges and uguide but wondering if there are people looking for hunting partners or extra hunters to fill out their group? This is my first time to SD so I don't have any resources or contacts. Would love to find a friendly group that wouldn't mind an extra gun and assistance in getting the birds up. My brother may also be interested in coming along. Hunting in SD has been a dream of mine for years and got serious about it last year but couldn't pull it together. Ready now! Thinking about November 1-20, sometime in there. Dates are flexible. Have hunted pheasants off and on in Idaho on my uncles farms and in Oregon many times. Used to have a GSPointer yrs ago and want to get another but our chocolate lab passed away couple months ago and not ready for a new dog yet. Love dogs and enjoy meeting new friends.
If anyone has an opening I would appreciate hearing from you and if you can direct me to other sources that may be helpful that's good too.
Best of luck to everyone this fall.
Old 09-28-2017, 01:49 PM
Typical Buck

Default Hunting Partner

Any luck yet? I have tried this before but no response. Probably need to plan months in advance and do it my self. Maybe next year!
Old 09-28-2017, 02:10 PM
Boone & Crockett

I would never throw in with perfect strangers to go on a hunting trip because you are going to be spending a substantial amount of money and getting involved with someone that doesn't have your ethics or that is difficult can turn a great trip into a disaster and you will only remember the bad and not the good. You would be better off trying to find friends you know will be good to hunt with than to throw your lot in with strangers.
Old 09-28-2017, 03:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

NOT SD< but ND, the guy that runs this place ,

https://www.tailfeatherinn.com/contact-us.html

he is a very nice guy,
I have never stayed there, but have had many folks stay there I know, and all had a great time!
I have had many conversations with the owner over the yrs when I was first planning my trips out there, and he was more than helpful in me planning my trips , even though I didn;t use HIM or his place to hunt out of!!
so again, nice guy, not looking to just take your money!gave me honest advice and info!

But he can most likely set you up with places to hunt, and possibly other hunters there you can tag along with
he can set you up on more budget like hunts or even just self guided 100% and get you access to some better spots
I have personally hunted a bunch in ND and SD too
but have never needed to hire a guide, I have done very very well on public lands in both states, but I liked ND better, seemed to have less pressure and just as many birds

AS to hunting with strangers, first question I would have for you is, do you HAVE your own dog, as if you DO or don't that right off can be an issue
I personally would NEVER hunt with MY dog, over a unknown guy, my dog would be too valuable to me to do so!, and bet many feel the same

NOW if you HAVE your own dog, HOW well or NOT trained it is comes into play.
I have hunted over some top shelf dogs as well as some that should have never been left out of the truck LOL
I have seen SO called bird dogs take off and flush everything it could for 10+ miles and NOT know there names till they WANTED to
so, many hunters traveling might not want to gamble on a unknown dog as much as a hunter!

GOOD news is, honestly, in decent bird number yrs, you can do really well on your own, and if you HAVE a dog, it will be a great way to bond and teach em to get better, wild birds are NOT pen raised , BIG difference IMO!

staying at a place like I listed, you will get to meet and maybe tag along with hunters IF your interested ,
I always did combo hunts , pheasants and upland birds mornings and archery deer in afternoons

as tagging out on my limits of birds was rather easy more often than not, so having something else to do, was a BIG plus , which again if you stay at a place like above, it gives you a chance to rub elbows with others limited out, and can again MAYBE join groups and such!

https://www.tailfeatherinn.com/contact-us.html
Old 09-28-2017, 03:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

if you want more Upscale lodging and hunts, I know of a few I would recommend too, but they are far from cheap!
not sure what your budget is!