Upland Bird Hunting Whether you are into pheasants or grouse, quail or chukars, find out what you need to know here.

lax cruicate ligament

Old 04-14-2017, 03:17 PM
Spike

Default lax cruicate ligament

My 22 month old Labrador has a slight tear in his left knee - the vet said it was a lax cruciate ligament and is common with Labradors. The orthopedic surgeon has recommend surgery - my question has any of you tried an alternative method of using shots of adequan and if so your results - this is a minor tear.
Old 04-14-2017, 04:02 PM
Boone & Crockett

Everyone I know has had the surgery on their dogs. Small tears turn into major tears. If you don't have it done, you could wind up with a permanently lame dog.
Old 04-14-2017, 05:54 PM
Spike

Thanks Oldtimr for the information - I had just heard that a lot of the surgeries were not successful and if successful there is a 50% chance of the other knee going out. This is my 3rd Labrador and the first one to experience a tear.
Old 04-14-2017, 06:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Find a DVM who uses an Erchonia Cold Laser. It works very well for non-surgical repair of CCL tears.
Check at www.erchonia.com/ and www.vomtech.com/

Old 04-14-2017, 07:01 PM
Spike

Doc E - so glad you came and posted on this as I would never thought about laser treatment - there is even a DVM in my daughter's town that performs the treatment. I will check into it immediately - it is interesting that my dog's name is also DOC - have a wonderful Easter and again thanks so much for your posting.
Old 04-15-2017, 07:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Not all lasers are created equal.
The only two that I trust are Erchonia or K Laser.

Old 04-20-2017, 03:05 AM
Dominant Buck

My family mutt Fannymae the wonder dog had to have TPLO surgery a couple years ago. She did well and shows no ill affects from it seems good as new. It was expensive but worth it now that she is sound again.
Old 05-21-2017, 08:30 AM
Spike

Default lax cruicate ligament

It has been a couple of weeks since my dog finished his laser treatments and he is doing great. I am glad that I came to this blog and discussed the issue - thanks to Doc for his suggestion, I tried the laser treatments even though two other vets had recommended surgery - laser may not work for every situation but so far it has been a success. He still have a couple more weeks of light activity before I continue his training.
Old 12-07-2017, 07:42 PM
Spike

I agree, get the surgery done.

After the surgery you're likely going to want to give your dog a joint supplement containing glucosamine, chondroitin, & MSM though. Studies have shown that joints with ligament damage are far more prone to arthritis, and this will help slow the progression of it.
Old 12-08-2017, 05:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

Glucosamine Sulfate (not HCl) and MSM for sure.
In an adult dog, Chondroitin has been shown to only have a 0,03% benefit.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.