Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Upland Bird Hunting
Busy morning prepping for youth pheasant hunt >

Busy morning prepping for youth pheasant hunt

Upland Bird Hunting Whether you are into pheasants or grouse, quail or chukars, find out what you need to know here.

Busy morning prepping for youth pheasant hunt

Old 12-15-2016, 07:00 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default Busy morning prepping for youth pheasant hunt

I have been chopping and cooking all morning since 8:30 making a pot of Chili with 4 lbs of ground Bison meat for Saturday morning for part of lunch at my club's annual youth pheasant hunt. I never made that much before. We also roast a whole deer on a spit for the kids and their parents our Game Commission provides the deer and other members bring side dishes and deserts. It sounds like it is going to be a really nasty day for it. For the first time I am going to help around the club house and food prep instead of running my dog. We have some new members with pointing breeds and I thought it would be nice to let someone else have some fun with the kids. Nothing like seeing a kid kill their first long tail over a pointing dog. I will try to remember to take some pictures, I said try, when I get busy I tend to forget I have the camera in my pocket.

Last edited by Oldtimr; 12-15-2016 at 01:30 PM.
Old 12-15-2016, 08:10 AM
Banned

nice! sounds like a good time. I'll say a prayer the weather holds for it.

nothing like being in the middle of a large group of folks eating beans.lol.
Old 12-15-2016, 08:14 AM
Boone & Crockett

Hopefully they will be on their way home before that happens.
Old 12-16-2016, 07:11 AM
JW
Super Moderator

Good for OT.
I organized several youth pheasant hunts letting each student get a hunt over both pointing and flushing dogs.
Was very rewarding and was state sanctioned. And I currently conduct learn to turkey hunts too.
Hats off to taking the time to help others.

MERRY CHRISTMAS
JW
Old 12-16-2016, 03:52 PM
Giant Nontypical

Good luck on your event tomorrow John and kudos to all those involved in helping get youth involved in the outdoors! I hope the weather in PA tomorrow is better than what we're getting this evening on through what is forecast this entire weekend!
Old 12-18-2016, 07:20 PM
Super Moderator

Hey OT, you said the state provides the deer. Any idea if this is a confiscated deer from a violation or where it comes from? I've always heard they'll donate them to food banks etc, but I never knew if there was truth to that or not.
-Jake
Old 12-19-2016, 04:05 AM
Boone & Crockett

Boca, they are either crop damage kills or illegally taken deer we get. Since our hunt is always in December there is no shortage of illegals or crop damage kills by that time. Most of the food bank deer come from hunters through the "hunter sharing the harvest programs". The PGC used to give a lot of roadkills to Prisons and orphanages etc because there were people available any time night or day which is handy in the summer when it is hot but the dept of health stopped that because the meat wasn't government inspected. Apparently venison wasn't good enough for prisoners. I know we used to save our prison a lot of money by giving them venison and the prisoners loved it. I could take a deer there in the middle of the night in the summer and they would wake up a couple of prisoners to take care of the deer and the thing is, they were really happy I brought it in. A lot of deer went to waste in the summer because I had no place to take deer before they went bad.
Old 12-19-2016, 09:28 PM
Super Moderator

I worked for a short period of time in a prison, wasn't for me... but they are happy for anything that changes up their routine. So getting up in the middle of the night to cut up a deer would have been something to look forward to. Not to mention the chance to eat some venison. Glad to hear the try to put everything to use though that they can.
-Jake