Upland Bird Hunting Whether you are into pheasants or grouse, quail or chukars, find out what you need to know here.

Central Pennsylvania WPRA

Old 01-03-2015, 04:24 PM
Spike

Default Central Pennsylvania WPRA

For all of those who live or own land in central PA, my dad and I are thinking about trying to recruit people into starting a WPRA(Wild Pheasant Recovery Area) in Centre county and other surrounding counties. If anybody is interested in this, please respond to this post.
Old 01-05-2015, 04:52 AM
Boone & Crockett

You should contact the Pheasants Forever organization,(http://www.pheasantsforever.org/) they are active in getting pheasant recovery areas up and running. However, Center Co. is not one of the traditional pheasant areas but it can't hurt to ask. Also, if you land is in a wpra, there will be no hunting on the land for quite a while.
Old 01-05-2015, 11:46 AM
Spike

Thanks Oldtimr, we will try to contact them and also, did you read about my pheasant surrogator thread? Sincerely,
Pheasantshooter123
Old 01-05-2015, 12:51 PM
Boone & Crockett

I did. I have read mixed reviews on the surrogators. Some say they work, others say they do not work to put out birds with the ability to survive, mainly because the chicks come from pen raised birds and the chicks when released have no experienced wild hen to show them how to survive. I do not know which is correct bit I tend to think they will not produce a nucleous for a population of wild,birds any more than stocked pen raised adults will. I believe the PA Game Commission looked into them and decided against using them. I don't want to discourage you but I don't want to blow smoke up your pant leg either. Good luck no matter what you choose to do.

Last edited by Oldtimr; 01-06-2015 at 03:58 AM.
Old 01-05-2015, 05:40 PM
Spike

thank you oldtimr.

Last edited by pheasantshooter123; 01-07-2015 at 02:56 PM.
Old 04-15-2015, 04:13 PM
Spike

We contacted a chapter in centre co and he is being very helpful and has agreed to meet us at our farm and access the habitat and he said that it might be doable. Anyway, thank u.

Pheasantshooter.