Community
Upland Bird Hunting Whether you are into pheasants or grouse, quail or chukars, find out what you need to know here.

CZ-USA shotguns

Old 12-31-2014, 08:09 AM
Spike

Default CZ-USA shotguns

I am about to replace the pump gun with a o/u and looked at the CZs at gander mtn last night, the mallard is the lowest priced gun, and slightly above that is the canvasback. Something doesn't feel right about buying the lowest end gun, but it seems to be about the same quality as the canvasback. Does anyone have experience with these guns or the CZ brand all together?

Not looking to hear about how I should save up 2000 and buy a B-gun. im fifteen, and have worked hard to get this much saved up.
Old 12-31-2014, 08:13 AM
Giant Nontypical

Don't know anyone who was ever disappointed with CZ !!!
Old 12-31-2014, 10:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

I know CZ rifles fairly well. They are solid "working" guns and a good value, but they sometimes need a bit of work to make them feed well. They are well built but are somewhat heavy and little rough around the edges. After they are broken in and smoothed out they are very good. The CZ set trigger is not my cup of tea but some guys like it.

The CZ O/U looks to be the same level of fit and finish as their rifles. Nothing fancy but solid. The lowest priced CZ O/U has double triggers while the next one up has a single selective trigger. They share the same stock design, so it might be a small but awkward to move from one trigger to the other. When I shoot double triggers I like a straight grip "English" stock so that my hand can move better to the rear trigger.

Both of them have extractors, not ejectors, so I would guess that the trigger along with some fit and finish are the main differences.
Old 12-31-2014, 10:31 AM
Giant Nontypical

I was looking at CZ hard when I was in the market for a sub gauge SXS.

CZ is one of the very few in that price range that build a sub gauge on smaller frames.

It's all about the "features" YOU like in a O/U (and your budget, of course) !!!

Big Uncle mentioned a few of the "features" that YOU need to decide on (ie: double triggers, single selective trigger, "English" stock, extractors - not ejectors).

If you take care of it, it will last a lifetime and then some.......................

Good luck with your decision !!!

Last edited by Sheridan; 12-31-2014 at 10:36 AM.
Old 12-31-2014, 10:45 AM
Boone & Crockett

The CZ double shotguns are made by Huglu in Turkey for CZ. I have matching 28 ga sxs and a 12 ga sxs, both straight stock, made for DeHaan by Huglu. The 28 ga is made on a 28 ga frame, not a 20 ga frame like many 28s are. I am really happy with my DeHann guns.
Old 12-31-2014, 11:43 AM
Spike

Thanks for the replies! Big Uncle, I have handled both and like the double triggers better, but I will have to switch triggers on that stock before deciding, thanks for bringing that up! And ill definitely check the stock and ask some people about ejectors and extractors! what is you guys personal opinion on them, for upland hunting and some light skeet/trap shooting???
Old 12-31-2014, 11:44 AM
Spike

By switch triggers, I mean move my hand from one trigger to the other with the non English stock and see if it is overly awkward.
Old 01-01-2015, 03:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

CZ is very good value for the money, especially new production models like you are considering. You may find you end up keeping it even as you grow older and can spend more. The only reason I sold mine was fit. And that is a personal thing not a reflection on quality.
Old 01-02-2015, 01:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by evanscofield21
Thanks for the replies! Big Uncle, I have handled both and like the double triggers better, but I will have to switch triggers on that stock before deciding, thanks for bringing that up! And ill definitely check the stock and ask some people about ejectors and extractors! what is you guys personal opinion on them, for upland hunting and some light skeet/trap shooting???
I like ejectors myself. Faster reloading. But for upland, and skeet? You could get by with extractors no problem. The main thing with shot guns is the fit. Length of Pull being too long, or too short is pretty common. If it's too short you can get a Pachmayr slip on recoil pad. It can give you an inch or two without breaking the bank. too long, and I pass on it and keep looking.

Good luck whatever you choose to do.
Old 01-02-2015, 02:09 PM
Boone & Crockett

Very few factory guns are a perfect fit. Most are built to the same length of pull and cast to try to accommodate the average man. A gun that has a too long length of pull can be altered, so can one that is too short without using one of those ugly slipons. Why is it necessary to have ejectors for upland game? To watch empties flying through the air? Ejectors are nice, unless you reload, then they are a PITA. If you cannot reload fast enough while hunting upland game because you have extractors, you can't reload fast enough if you have ejectors. Unless a gun is made for you specifically, a bespoken gun, there are trade offs you have to deal with and alterations that can be made if necessary. The ops question was regarding the quality of the CZ double gun, not personal preferences.

Last edited by Oldtimr; 01-03-2015 at 04:29 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.