Upland Bird Hunting Whether you are into pheasants or grouse, quail or chukars, find out what you need to know here.

Hunter's Guide to Duskys

Old 11-04-2014, 10:22 AM
Spike

Default Hunter's Guide to Duskys

Hey guys, I'm new to the site but figured I'd stick my neck out on the chopping board and post this up. I made a little guide on how I find Dusky grouse out here in Colorado. I know there's a million ways to find these little fellas, so take this write-up with a grain of salt. Hope you enjoy.

www.huntingtherat.com
Old 11-04-2014, 10:27 AM
Giant Nontypical

You mean Dusky's like these?

Or these:

Or even these:

They all came from CO in Oct. Of course, old CO hunters like myself still call the Blue Grouse instead of Duskys since that is what they were always called when I was growing up.
Old 11-04-2014, 10:44 AM
Spike

Ha! Yea, I saw your post earlier. Kind of jealous. Never picked them off with a .22 but that sure looks fun. Out past Fort Collins?
Old 11-05-2014, 06:29 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by fredmb
Ha! Yea, I saw your post earlier. Kind of jealous. Never picked them off with a .22 but that sure looks fun. Out past Fort Collins?
Nope. Farther west. Out on the Grand Mesa south of Grand Junction. I get a lot of them up on Gore Pass west of Kremmling too.
Old 11-23-2014, 11:48 PM
Fork Horn

I've never hunted these guys before but I always see a ton of them in September and October when I'm in GMU 66 scouting for elk season. I think next year I'll plan on packing a .22 and bag a few while I'm hiking around. I assume from the looks of them that they are delicious. Looking forward to it! I enjoyed reading your guide, thanks for sharing!
Old 12-07-2014, 06:14 PM
Spike

Well worth packing in a .22 for them. They are hands down my favorite bird to eat. I have an awesome recipe I'll try to get up on the site for cooking these little fellas over the campfire.