Upland Bird Hunting Whether you are into pheasants or grouse, quail or chukars, find out what you need to know here.

choke help

Old 10-10-2014, 05:57 PM
Spike

I found that I also had a skeet choke laying around. Would that be too open? Leaves are still pretty thick where I'm going to be.
Old 10-10-2014, 08:12 PM
Giant Nontypical

A skeet field is 21 yards before the bird is "lost".

So if you expect your shots to be within that distance (which I would); I think you are good to go.
Old 10-11-2014, 08:34 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by Sheridan
A skeet field is 21 yards before the bird is "lost".

So if you expect your shots to be within that distance (which I would); I think you are good to go.
Thanks. That's what I was thinking also. Everytime I'm on a trail hiking and they scare the crap out of me, it's usually within 15' or so
Old 10-12-2014, 07:31 AM
Boone & Crockett

I like a 28 inch barrel with a modified choke the best.. Grouse like to weave between the trees when they can. Some will fly a longer distance then others do.. It all vaires on the type of ground and area you are hunting in.. They are very fast fliers and will only give a bout a second to get up and shoot. So you will need to be quick at it.. Good Luck..

Last edited by Phil from Maine; 10-16-2014 at 12:50 PM.
Old 10-15-2014, 03:49 PM
JW
Super Moderator

Over pointing dogs I use Cyl and Improved Cyl or skeet. Wider is better for me.

JW
Old 10-20-2014, 09:54 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Sheridan
A skeet field is 21 yards before the bird is "lost"...
A skeet field is 21 yards from the front of each of the first 7 stations to the center target crossing point. From stations 1 & 7 it is another 22 yards from the center point to the Field Boundary Stakes.

It is true that most skeet targets are broken (or should be broken) within 21 yards, but they are not "lost" out of bounds until they pass over the Field Boundary Stakes. On stations 1 & 7 those boundary stakes are 43 yards from the shooter.
Old 10-27-2014, 05:39 PM
Fork Horn

I must strongly disagree with post #2 of this thread recommending IM choke. IM = Imp. Modified, which is between Modified & full, much to tight. I suspect Oldtimr was thinking of Imp. Cyl. choke, which would be better than Mod.

I would strongly suggest a Dispersion choke tube. A Dispersion tube is rifled, in other words it's more open than a true Cylinder tube would be, though a true cylinder is another good choice. (Dispersion tubes are a specialty tube used by sporting clays shooters) For shot I use handloaded nickel plated #7 shot, 1 1/8 oz at 1370 fps. This is very deadly between 12 - 20 yds. If you find yourself shooting often out to 25-30 yds, then a Skeet 1 or Imp. Cylinder would be my choice.

(I"ve often wondered just how different, if any, the twist rate is between a Dispersion tube & a Rifled tube for slug shooting. But as I don't know & have not used a rifled slug tube that way I can't offer suggestions on that........though if you have such a slug tube I'd sure give it a try prior to paying for a Dispersion tube.)

If the OP handloads, then use of special spreader loads offer some other ways to open things up. Once upon a time spreader loads could be bought in stores from the ammo factories.......they still should be, but I know I never see such in stores in my area of the country.

Last edited by craig; 10-27-2014 at 05:53 PM.