Community
Upland Bird Hunting Whether you are into pheasants or grouse, quail or chukars, find out what you need to know here.

20ga 3in Pheasant loads

Old 08-10-2010, 05:44 PM
Spike

Default 20ga 3in Pheasant loads

is there an actual advantage to using 3in shells over 2 3/4's in a 20ga or is there a trade off of poor patterning and no real gain in speed not worth it?
Old 08-11-2010, 12:50 AM
Fork Horn

There is always a benefit to more shot in the air, and your pattern may stay the same or tighten up some with same shot size used. Why are you really asking? cost?
When I do pull my 20 gauge out I use 3" shells more than 2 3/4 when hunting other than preserve birds, I use a double blackpoder mostly now.
Remember get up to that 1 1/4 oz and you have the eq. of a 2 3/4" 12 gauge, yea some of you will disagree, look at the velocities of both in standard loading, they are pretty much equal, one just has more shot= more killing power.
Old 08-11-2010, 06:49 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Cessna Flyer
There is always a benefit to more shot in the air, and your pattern may stay the same or tighten up some with same shot size used. Why are you really asking? cost?
When I do pull my 20 gauge out I use 3" shells more than 2 3/4 when hunting other than preserve birds, I use a double blackpoder mostly now.
Remember get up to that 1 1/4 oz and you have the eq. of a 2 3/4" 12 gauge, yea some of you will disagree, look at the velocities of both in standard loading, they are pretty much equal, one just has more shot= more killing power.
I agree w/ Flyer
Old 08-15-2010, 06:51 PM
Spike

i was wondering not because of cost, but i just want the most range out of my 20. i was thinking remington express long range? theyre only 2 3/4, but the velocity is 1220fps, and shooting 5s, i think that would be my best bet. fiocchi 3s were the other choice, but im not sure their velocity.
and let me back track a little. i hunt state stocked birds in nj. they arent the greatest, smartest birds out there. i usually hunt with anywhere from 2 to 6 guys without a dog. these other guys arent the greatest shots, and when a bird gets up and they miss, i dont want to be too far away to drop it. i hunted with a 12ga last year and dropped 9 out of every 10 they missed. i got a great deal on a new browning citori white lightning 20ga, 26" that im going to use for birds and rabbits. and thats why i was wondering about the shell size
Old 08-16-2010, 06:51 PM
Giant Nontypical

20 ga is not gun for pheasants even with 3 inch .it is rabbit gun but we all use 22 cal for rabbits.
not bad grouse gun as its light to carry .i would keep it for grouse/rabbits.

12 ga is by far best all around gun and shells are cheaper and put more bb in air.
go shoot clay birds with your 20 ga.then pick up a 12 ga. let me know how you do!

new jersey guys most cant hit anything.

sproul has spoken
Old 08-17-2010, 04:33 AM
JW
Super Moderator

I have used a 20 for yrs and use 3 inch 4s and see no problem with it at all.

The Remington Nitro mags is the brand I use.

JW
Old 08-17-2010, 10:51 AM
Spike

new jersey guys most cant hit anything.

hahaha. thats rough.
Old 08-17-2010, 12:55 PM
Fork Horn

I prefer the 20 guage to the 12. ive seen alot of birds that were shot by 12s that were so damaged they werent even edible. You wont get quite the distance with the 20 guage as you would a 12 but the 20 knocks them down just as good at reasonable distances.
Old 08-17-2010, 06:47 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by LifexIsxHunting
I prefer the 20 guage to the 12. ive seen alot of birds that were shot by 12s that were so damaged they werent even edible. You wont get quite the distance with the 20 guage as you would a 12 but the 20 knocks them down just as good at reasonable distances.
the one day year hunters are ones that blow birds away.usually they are ones DRIVING for pheasants.i see it all the time. yes, those people should use 20 ga as they are shooting birds at 10 yds.
after birds are hunted your shots will increase.normal could be 25 to 35 yds.20 ga will not cut it.in the hands of great shot,person who shoots clay birds and HAS right 20 ga shotgun, yes it can be done.

but MOST dont shoot that much. i do, i go thru 25 claybirds a week.but you will see NO ONE with 20 ga doing it.
i do like 20 ga on grouse but i like 28 inch barrel not 26 inch.only because the longer barrel swings better and it will reach grouse at 30 yds.

take care sproul;
Old 08-23-2010, 08:50 PM
Spike

picked up the 20ga today. broke some clays, 32 days until rabbit season opens, and a few months until pheasants are stocked. i cant wait.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.