Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Upland Bird Hunting
New O/U and Choke Tube questions >

New O/U and Choke Tube questions

Upland Bird Hunting Whether you are into pheasants or grouse, quail or chukars, find out what you need to know here.

New O/U and Choke Tube questions

Old 03-29-2010, 02:02 PM
Spike

Default New O/U and Choke Tube questions

Hi All,

This may have been covered in another thread but I just purchased a Browning Cynergy 12 Ga. 3 1/2" Satin Field Grade O/U and is the first shotgun I've bought since I bought my 870 20 Ga. pump in the 70's. Thus, I have a few questions as you can imagine. I'm planning on using this O/U on pheasant, grouse, and some skeet shooting. Do you all use different chokes in the upper and lower barrels? Seems like that might be a good idea. Also, what chokes should I have for the different type of shooting I'll be doing?
Old 03-30-2010, 08:01 AM
Typical Buck

Pheasants: lead - #6 shot, full/mod for late season, mod/IC normal.
Grouse: lead - #7 1/2 shot, mod/IC
Skeet: skeet loads (#8 or #9), SK/SK

for steel shot, pheasant #2 or #4, grouse #4. Choke for upper and lower barrel doesn't matter much as you should have a barrel selector.
Old 03-30-2010, 09:45 AM
Giant Nontypical

I use a Browning Cynergy 12 Ga. also (I have the classic stock) and Mite gave you about all the information you need.

Normally, most people like to shoot the bottom barrel first with the more "open" choke followed by the upper barrel with the tighter choke.

With skeet you use 2 of the same (skeet or IC) because the furthest shot is 21 yard from anywhere on the field.

One last recommendation if you didn't already buy your chokes; I wish I brought all "extended" chokes (no choke tool needed).
Old 03-30-2010, 11:30 AM
Spike

Thanks guys and I was looking at the extended chokes as well. No choke tool sounded like a good thing to me as well.
Old 08-04-2010, 02:59 PM
Fork Horn

One thing that was not mentioned was the boring and time consuming project of patterning your gun. What you may find interesting is that a IC choke in the upper bbl. may pattern as a mod. or sk. in the lower.Unfortun. not all bbls in a sxs or o/u have the same inside diameters. And as chokes are measured in the hundredths, it can and does make a difference. I have found that shot size makes as big a difference as choke size.
Old 08-04-2010, 09:06 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by Mite
Pheasants: lead - #6 shot, full/mod for late season, mod/IC normal.
Grouse: lead - #7 1/2 shot, mod/IC
Skeet: skeet loads (#8 or #9), SK/SK

for steel shot, pheasant #2 or #4, grouse #4. Choke for upper and lower barrel doesn't matter much as you should have a barrel selector.
This is the combo I use