Community
Upland Bird Hunting Whether you are into pheasants or grouse, quail or chukars, find out what you need to know here.

grouse tailfan mount

Old 12-26-2009, 06:31 PM
Spike

Default grouse tailfan mount

anyone have any good links or examples on mounting a grouse tail fan themselves? I've done a few turkey tailfans.
Old 12-27-2009, 05:21 PM
Fork Horn

I did one and it turned out great. I had a pack of those cedar boards you can get at Lowes for a dresser. I cut out two sections 3 inch in diameter with a flat section of the board at the bottom. I believe I used some very fine screws and screwed them together with the tail fan in between. Rests upright with the flat bottom.
Old 01-07-2010, 06:17 PM
Spike

I wonder who that poor soul (wingshooter) is???? Although I understand a certain wager may prove otherwise by seasons end

Scott, Do you make the wood base yourself? Is the base of the tail feathers glued in place? I'd like to try one like it myself.

K9wernet, My simple method: I don't scrape all the skin and fat off the base of the tail, so have to wait for it to dry in the basement. I carefully spread the tail fan out on a piece of cardboard & thumb tack the end feathers in place to hold it open. I put salt under & on top of the base area, cover the tail & base with a couple paper towels and place a heavy book on top to hold it down and in place. I then wait a couple months for it to dry. Once dry, the tail is permanently spread nicely open. Wipe the salt off.

I cut a piece of leather in an oval shape to fit over the top and bottom of the base then hot clue the leather over the base & quill ends.

It has worked for me. Hope this helps.
Old 01-14-2010, 08:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

I made this for my dieing friend as a tribute to our hunting comrade (RIP - Tim, @ 42 years of age) ...

Quite easy to make...

Just cut the tail with the rump meat and pin it onto a board as a fan shape. In a couple of weeks, it dries to this shape. Dress up the cut section and mount it to a frame if you choose...
Attached Thumbnails grouse tailfan mount-tims-frame_email.jpg  
Old 01-14-2010, 12:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

I did these ones about 10 yrs ago and they are still holding out quite well. I also did a rooster and hen Ringneck Pheasant.
I did as discribed above but I used strips of cardboard the width of the tails, stapled them together to hold the tails in a fan shape and dipped the meaty part in some borax. This dries any meat out and after a week or so remove the cardboard and they`re ready to go.

Hope this helps.

Ron
Old 01-20-2010, 04:17 PM
Spike

i accept with informationut salt under & on top of the base area, cover the tail & base with a couple paper towels and place a heavy book on top to hold it down and in place. I then wait a couple months for it to dry. Once dry, the tail is permanently spread nicely open. Wipe the salt off.
Old 08-21-2010, 12:39 PM
Spike

Default Grouse tails

I make up plaques out of grouse tails with a mounted grouse head and a clay bird as a body. I dry them on a plastic drying clamps made by Buckster Products, it is called a TAIL -MATE, but I googled it up and can't get it! They work great, one plastic part SNAPS into the other with holes and pegs. 18 slots for the feathers. Thank You, ROD http://www.pluckwitheasypluck.com

Last edited by Rod W; 08-21-2010 at 12:42 PM.