Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Upland Bird Hunting
 My dog wants me to take up bird hunting- need shotgun advice >

My dog wants me to take up bird hunting- need shotgun advice

Community
Upland Bird Hunting Whether you are into pheasants or grouse, quail or chukars, find out what you need to know here.

My dog wants me to take up bird hunting- need shotgun advice

Old 11-03-2008, 09:50 PM

Default My dog wants me to take up bird hunting- need shotgun advice

Yes its a little funny sounding but pretty much goes like this. Last February my wife brought home a free puppy that was supposed to be just a family pet. Half Lab half Rhodesian Ridgeback. Since she brought him home without my consent she asked me to name him thinking that would soften me up( I didn't mind a bit though). So I named him Fred. No sense in naming a mutt something fancy or gallant. Well Fred is 10 months now and with no training other than a little bit work at dropping after retrieving is the most incredible dog I have owned. He points then flushes. He walks/runs a zig-zag, stays out front and stays within about 75 feet. I take Fred anywhere I can figuring its good for him. A few months ago a friend invited me over to his large farm to hunt ground hog after they mowed hay. I brought Fred along to get him used to guns. As we were walking through the fields my friend says look at what your dog is doing, did you train him? Fred was pointing flushing zig zagging and all that. Since then he has been growing into a really fine dog and I have been working with him on retrieving land and water. His energy and enthusiasm seems to be without limit. Fred likes to be active and loves to learn.

So what I really wanted to know is.......what shotgun shotgun will fit my needs. My budget is a grand. Also since this will be the only shotgun I will own for the near future it would be nice to have a gun that I can use for other game. Mostly turkey at close range (less than 50 yards) maybe deer too.

12 or 20ga? Is an auto shotgun OK? Does anyone use a pump gun with any success at all in this sport? My neighbor has a Browning Auto 5 in 20ga that he offered to me at a very fair price. Its available if I want it but I dont have to take it if its not going to be a good fit.

So I hope I didn't bore you with the story but I really would like some bird gun advice.

Thanks for answering my newbie questions.
Glenn
Old 11-04-2008, 04:26 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: My dog wants me to take up bird hunting- need shotgun advice

Auto, over/under, pump and even a sigle shot will work great, My dad used a browning A5 in 12 gauge which I have now. But for all my upland hunting I use a Stoeger Condor over/under 20 gauge, my son uses a Remington 870 pump in 20 gauge, and my daughter uses a Mossberg 500 pump in 20 gauge. I like the 20 gauge to upland hunting. If that A5 is at a good price, snatch it up
Old 11-04-2008, 04:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

Can't go wrong with a Remington 1100 auto. Extra barrels are easy to come by for different game, & its pretty reliable, too. I recommend 12 gauge, myself.
Old 11-04-2008, 06:08 AM
Fork Horn

12 gauge for sure...... You can use a pump, Ive never owned a semi-auto. I have thought many times of buying one but, I can't ever go through. I figure why, my pump still works and I can shoot it just as fast as a semi and the best part is the gun is dirt cheap............ Remington 870, best shotgun made in my eyes. Why spend a bunch of money on a good looking gun just to beat it up outdoos when you can spend little on a great gun?
Old 11-04-2008, 03:36 PM

Thanks for the replies. I took to heart everyones recommendations.I need one gun that will do a lot of things. I think I may go with an 870 combo that has a slug barrel and a bird barrel. I like that ts made in the US and that there is a lot of aftermarket stuff available. While the Browning auto 5 would be nice, I found out that its not compatible with steel shot and accepts 2 3/4 shells only where as the 870 takes 2.75 and 3 inch shells for differing requirements I like the adaptability of the 870 Also.I would not feel comfortable carrying a vintage classic around and risk getting a scratch on it.

Another bonus is I am nowhere near my budget so I can take the savings and apply that towards clothing, training and other costs that I am sure will ensue.

Thanks
Glenn
Old 11-04-2008, 06:50 PM
Fork Horn

Your making the right choice..... look at it this way, if you do end up wanting a semi or even and over-under you can still buy one and end up well below your original price.
Old 11-05-2008, 08:40 PM

Well its been done. I went to a few local gunshops today and struck out. But I found what I wanted at a chain sporting goods store. 870 Remington Express 12 ga with 23 inch rifled barrel w/scope and a 28 inch vent rib barrell. It was on sale+ $30 rebate from Remington and another 10% off because the reciever had a slight scuff from chaffing inside its box during shipment. I made out well. Plenty dough left for accesories

I am very happy with my purchase.
Old 11-14-2008, 07:31 PM

Great ending!! Don't forget your pup, get a nice vest or collar. You'll burn up your extra money buying shotgun shell's, stuff's getting pretty pricey.
Old 11-16-2008, 08:18 AM
Fork Horn

Good luck with it, the 870 is a great gun!
Old 11-17-2008, 12:54 PM
Fork Horn

Congratualtions on the gun and the dog. That's a great story. It's nice to have a pure bred dog that hunts well but I love it when someone finds a mutt that can hunt. I keep thinking I'll luck out some day and come across one.

Spud

Quick Reply: My dog wants me to take up bird hunting- need shotgun advice

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.