Upland Bird Hunting Whether you are into pheasants or grouse, quail or chukars, find out what you need to know here.

Bird hunting without a dog

Old 10-18-2007, 09:37 PM

Default Bird hunting without a dog

Is it possible to successfully hunt bird without a good bird dog?
See i am i dee huntera and i am new to bird hunting but a frind of mine started bird hunting and it sounds like fun sport but i dont want to get a dog unless i have to. I dont want a dog because i dont have all the resources to take care of one and thoere would be too much training to do.
Old 10-18-2007, 11:52 PM

Default RE: Bird hunting without a dog

If this is something that you want to do, then 1)find a friend with a dog, or 2) hunt a preserve and use theirs. I don't mean to be rude, but IMO it is irresponsible to hunt upland birds without a dog simply because, if you do not kill that bird, just wing it, it hits the ground running and you are not going to find it. That isn't sportsmanlike IMO. If you shoot it, it's your responsibility to make sure that you find it too. Too often, guys with dogs will be out in a bird rich area only to have part of their limit taken by a bird the dog found, that somebody else shot and left. NOW, if you are hunting somewhere that the grass is pretty short, you might do OK, though I still don't suggest it. Please, hunt over a buddy's dog, or over a preserve dog. For that matter, you might, find somebody in here that would be willing to go out with you. You know, you buy lunch, or part of their preserve fee if you go that way, and they bring the dog. I'd be willing to do it except I am in Iraq right now, and I won't be pickin up my new pup till sometime in April.

Good Luck

Old 10-19-2007, 07:39 PM
Spike

You can track them sometimes if there is a fresh snowfall, but it isn't easy. I find the hunt experience, with the dog, to be the main enjoyment.
Old 10-20-2007, 09:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have hunted without a dog for all of my life and have always been successful. I just got a dog amonth ago, so now I am changing boats. It is very possible to kill birds without a dog though.

Good Luck!!!!!
Pheasantfanatic

Old 10-20-2007, 07:28 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: thehuntingbuddy

Is it possible to successfully hunt bird without a good bird dog?
See i am i dee huntera and i am new to bird hunting but a frind of mine started bird hunting and it sounds like fun sport but i dont want to get a dog unless i have to. I dont want a dog because i dont have all the resources to take care of one and thoere would be too much training to do.
done it for years with no dog but now have a lab and much more fun.

i was out today in sgl252 here in pa.

i had so many hunters FOLLOWING ME around and trying to get in postion to shoot bird i missed.

it was real bad.

everytime i flushed bird, there was orange hunter waiting .
problem is i could not shoot as they were in line of my fire.
so, i went over and said, instead of you guys hiding trying to shoot birds my dogs flush,why not come hunting with me..

guess what, they both limited out and i got NO BIRDS.
each offered me 1 of their birds, i said, no.
they have young families and its big thing to them..

i enjoy hunt ,not killing..
i had guy that was close to pulling gun again this year on me,he said birds were his....
some are cracking up hunting pheasants,real nuts out there..

this is why i feel a 20 dollar pheasant stamp should made law..

this would get these low lifes out of picture...
Old 10-26-2007, 09:23 PM

You don't need a dog, especially if you can't take care of one. It is more fun to enjoy a good dog and hunt when you can.

Old 10-27-2007, 05:52 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: daleh

You don't need a dog, especially if you can't take care of one. It is more fun to enjoy a good dog and hunt when you can.
true, i have more fun seeing my lab flush grouse or pheasant than i do shooting bird.
i carry a grouse wings tied around soft rag,after i shoot over heads of grouse,i throw bird in brush with a lot of grouse scent i put on with bottle.he thinks i got bird.....
this way i have grouse to always hunt as not to many hunters go into this area to hunt grouse.