Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Upland Bird Hunting
 Need help with Grouse hunting >

Need help with Grouse hunting

Community
Upland Bird Hunting Whether you are into pheasants or grouse, quail or chukars, find out what you need to know here.

Need help with Grouse hunting

Old 10-13-2007, 05:25 AM
Fork Horn

Default Need help with Grouse hunting

I was transfered to Green Bay WIwith the Coast Guardthis summer. I live 15 miles north of GB, I am having trouble moving any grouse. I have moved some, but nothing like I had expected. Can someof you guys help me out with some places to hunt?
Old 10-15-2007, 07:05 AM

Default RE: Need help with Grouse hunting

ORIGINAL: cgguy

I was transfered to Green Bay WIwith the Coast Guardthis summer. I live 15 miles north of GB, I am having trouble moving any grouse. I have moved some, but nothing like I had expected. Can someof you guys help me out with some places to hunt?
Try the Nicolet Nat'l Forest around Lakewood, WI. Lots of good Grouse cover, quality trails, and good hotels. It's about 1.5 hrs. from Green Bay.
Old 10-15-2007, 01:08 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks for the info. I want to hunt up that way soon.
Old 10-16-2007, 05:18 AM
Boone & Crockett

Try the Nicolet Nat'l Forest around Lakewood, WI.
Becarefull up in the Lakewood area that is where my setters came out of. They have good years and bad years like the rest of us do. This year there has been a lot of birds so hopefully you will have some luck there.
Old 10-16-2007, 03:04 PM

In the morning try an area with little pebbles. Grouse eat pebbles to help them digest thier food. Or on the edges of a swamp, or near any Aspen trees. Good luck
Old 10-16-2007, 04:05 PM
Fork Horn

How has the bird hunting in Maine been? I am moving again in Jun and I am trying to get to Eastport.
Old 10-16-2007, 07:17 PM
Boone & Crockett

Birds have been great this year, I have been seeing alot of them. Grouse and woodcock numbers are up compared with last years season. Last year we had a lot of spring rains that left hard to find with the youngs dying out early.

Eastport is about 40 miles from me and if you bow hunt and get to know a few folks down there you are in prime deer hunting grounds. I was down to Eastport fishing the pier ealier this year catching a few mackeral and watch a couple of whales swing out in front. It was pretty neat to see them out there.
Old 10-21-2007, 02:12 PM
Fork Horn

went to lakewood this morning and moved 5 grouse, it was ok...long drive and the guy I went with had to be back early. I have been picking ticks from my dogs since i got back....maybe 100 between the two of them! I have never seen as many ticks.

I anyone else is having luck bird hunting north of green bay, I am not looking for your spots just some area that I can find birds.
Old 10-22-2007, 07:45 AM

We just got back from the Clam Lake area of Wisconsin. We had lousy weather. It was warm, windy, and wet. Like cgguy said, the TICKS were horrible. We made an emergency trip to a vet's office to get some frontline medication. I"m glad I had my dog treated for Lime disease.
Old 10-22-2007, 05:38 PM
Fork Horn

I have never seen that many ticks on a dog! I was brushing them off, then I counted 17 that I had to pick from her face. I hope they die soon.