Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Upland Bird Hunting
 What's a good, inexpensive field gun I can get? >

What's a good, inexpensive field gun I can get?

Community
Upland Bird Hunting Whether you are into pheasants or grouse, quail or chukars, find out what you need to know here.

What's a good, inexpensive field gun I can get?

Old 11-03-2006, 10:11 PM

Default What's a good, inexpensive field gun I can get?

Once I get my firearms purchaser's card I intend to get a deer rifle (most likely a Tikka T3), a slug gun (most likely a Mossberg 500 or Remington 870), and a field gun. For this, I'm currently considering a Stoeger Condor, but I'd like to hear other opinions on good single shot or dual-barreled shotguns. I say single shot too because I started hunting last season and used my friend's 870 and 1100. Even with the autoloader, I had a strange habit of only ever firing a single shot at any given pheasant or squirrel I came across. Also, for a field gun I am undecided on whether to use 12-gauge or 20-gauge, as I have read that 20-gauge can be as effective as 12-gauge and I don't want to put more lead into something than I have to.
Old 11-04-2006, 06:26 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: What's a good, inexpensive field gun I can get?

Being a former N.J. resident myself and knowing the shotgun only limits in that populated state I think that the Remington 870 (please spend afew extra and get the wingmaster not the express)would be a an excellent choice. Personally I'd opt for a 12 ga. chambered to take 3" shells (but only use 2 3/4") 28" barrel with a vent rib. It would be a good all round gun for squirells & birds including waterfowl and if you want to go slugs an extra barrel could be had and it would be like having two shotguns.
I remember turning 18 and the first thing I did when I woke up was goapply formy firearms i.d. and the second was registering for the draft.
Old 11-04-2006, 03:07 PM

I was gonna do that the first thing I turned eighteen but my birthday was a week after I started college in upstate NY.
Old 11-05-2006, 08:11 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Pickerel

Once I get my firearms purchaser's card I intend to get a deer rifle (most likely a Tikka T3), a slug gun (most likely a Mossberg 500 or Remington 870), and a field gun. For this, I'm currently considering a Stoeger Condor, but I'd like to hear other opinions on good single shot or dual-barreled shotguns. I say single shot too because I started hunting last season and used my friend's 870 and 1100. Even with the autoloader, I had a strange habit of only ever firing a single shot at any given pheasant or squirrel I came across. Also, for a field gun I am undecided on whether to use 12-gauge or 20-gauge, as I have read that 20-gauge can be as effective as 12-gauge and I don't want to put more lead into something than I have to.
12 ga is what you want,your young and can handle weight of gun..mossberg/remington is what i would get in pump..

then years from now, you can go up the ladder and get better gun, if you want..the best shotgun in my oipinion,bar none is the BERETTA URICKA FIELD..20 ga is as light as feather but i rec the 12 ga with 28 inch barrel..as for 3 inch shells, not necessary, stay with the 2 and 3/4 high brass in no. 5..
Old 11-06-2006, 07:51 AM

Well right now it looks like I'm gonna go for an LH Remington 870 Express. According to their website that's the only 870 they make left-handed. I'm also wondering about the Ithaca pumps since they bottom eject.
Old 11-06-2006, 09:48 AM
Spike

In my openion, stay away from Condor. I bought one 2 years ago Condor Supreme (nice woodandgoodfit). After 10 boxes of shells it stop fireing. It failed on me duaring hunt and my dog ran into wired fence chasing the bird (short huntand vet bill). Took it back to the store (it took them 6 month get the part and fx it). The next day I got it back, Iwent trap shooting(I gave it 2nd chance), 2 more boxes and it's out again (same isssue). Maybe I got a lemon.... Well I end up buying used Browing Lightning... I was looking for inexpansive O/U like you. It might sound strange, but I have one gun (beretta ES100) semi-auto dedicated to steel shots/waterfowl and o/u for pheasents. There is a list of O/U that I was looking at : Fausti, Baikal (spartans), Veronas and Franchi Falcone(Last two I think somewhere $599-800)
Old 11-06-2006, 10:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

Mossberg is making a O/U thats not very exspensive I saw one on gunbroker for 450.00 with all kinds of extras.
Also don't over look Winchester Modle 1300(if they still make them),I've had mine for close to 20 years and it is still my go to shotgun for birds.
BBJ
Old 11-06-2006, 02:22 PM
Typical Buck

870 or Nova. Both are good and easy on the pocket.
Old 11-07-2006, 09:25 AM

Baikal for filed guns, O/U or SxS, be that EAA or Spartan or Stevens version, they last forever with minimal care.
Old 11-07-2006, 04:05 PM

Hmm, I read a review on the Stevens 411 and that sounds pretty nice. If I can find one I'll have to take a closer look! It's either that or an 870 LH. Trouble with the 870 is that supposedly the barrels are different for LH and RH models, so I might be hard-pressed to find a LH slug barrel if that's true. I also have to check and see if I can get a Nova left handed, and if I can get a slug barrel for one. Or if I can get a LH Mossberg 500 with a slug barrel.

Quick Reply: What's a good, inexpensive field gun I can get?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.