Community
Upland Bird Hunting Whether you are into pheasants or grouse, quail or chukars, find out what you need to know here.

Best Dove Shooting?

Old 07-25-2006, 07:20 AM
Typical Buck

Default Best Dove Shooting?

What is everyone's personal best for shot per bird?

Mine is 15 birds using only 20 shells 1 bird every 1.3 shells in 20-30 minutes.
Old 07-25-2006, 05:32 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Best Dove Shooting?

Ryan, where were you hunting at? Thats alot of birds in a short amount of time. Good shootin! I have seen doves like that a couple of times recently where I hunt. Makes for a short day. Larry
Old 07-26-2006, 07:04 AM
Typical Buck

Northwest of you about 3 hours in Southwest Oklahoma. We have a lot of farm land and every year the birds are thick and we get a ton of shotting. We usually set up in cut milo fields or ponds at night.
Old 07-26-2006, 06:08 PM
Fork Horn

Now you got me real curios. We hunt around Childress. My family has farm land up in that area. Sounds real familiar when you talk about that many birds. I was up there a couple of years ago with a mens church group I take up there every year. From about 4:30 in the eve till about 8:30 we saw easily over 2,000 birds. Most of them started flying around 6:30. It looked like one of those Argentina dove hunts, only these birds were only about 25 feet off the ground. It was incredible. We always see alot of birds, everyone gets a limit (16 guys), but this was just crazy. Sounds like we might be real close in hunting areas. Larry
Old 07-26-2006, 10:46 PM
Typical Buck

The best I have ever done was 28 shells, 15 birds (limit). Half way through the first box, I did switch from IM & M to M & F chokes....so maybe my count could've been better. I didn't keep time though....which I'm sure that your time was better. All I know is that I can't wait for Sep. 1 to roll around!
Old 07-26-2006, 10:56 PM

My first Dove hunt with my new father in-law, I got my first 3 on 3 shells! Thought I was doing great and proceeded to blow 15 holes in the sky! I think he was impressed I hit anything!
Old 07-27-2006, 06:26 AM
Typical Buck

There have been times that the doves are so thick you can't keep your gun loaded. We'll hunt 80 acres with about 16-20 guys and we'll all limit out. We always figure opening weekend we harvest over 1200 birds. We hunt around the Lawton area if that helps you out any? Typically we're behind our bails30 minutes before sunrise (legal to shoot, but you can't see anything yet) and just about when the sun is cresting the birds start hitting the fields hard. I'm getting excited just thinking about it!

Last year I had an odd predicament; I had 14 birds in my bag when a couple of birds flew through the field. I pulled up and shot the lead bird and a close follower fell as well. Great, now I have 16 birds 1 over limit. I emailed our game warden to ask him if I broke the law, he told me "Yes you did, and I shouldn't have taken that shot." FYI
Old 08-12-2006, 09:33 PM

Last yr. was my personal best too. I honestly lost track of time and shells though.. I probably could limit in 15 shells if I just waited on the perfect shot but I love to try those really far out there shots. I hunted a private wheat field that was loaded!! I took 5 of my closest friends and we all limited out. That's saying alot considering it took 2 of them 4 boxes to limit. It was there first experience ever hunting and they are already bothering me about what we are gonna do this yr. I guess they are hooked like us now
Old 08-14-2006, 09:41 AM
Fork Horn

well in my yard last night I shot 5 dove in 4 shots.....cant beat that! haha
Old 08-16-2006, 04:01 PM
Typical Buck

Season has already opened up in your state?

Quick Reply: Best Dove Shooting?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.