Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Optics

Old 05-06-2005, 08:23 AM

Default Optics

What are your guys sight preferrences on your turkey guns and why?
Old 05-06-2005, 09:35 AM

Default RE: Optics

I like to use a single fiber optic sight at the end of my barrell. The reason for this is I shoot a lot of trap, and its pretty tough to line up on a clay pigeon going 40 mph with any optics, and since this is how I've been accoustimed to shooting in this style, its worked well for me. ALSO if you plan on hunting dove, goose, duck, ect, and get to used to the aid of optics on a shotgun, you'll never be a successful waterfowl hunter. PLUS I feel the less shiney stuff in the field, the better, remember.... Turkeys can hear you think, and see you change your mind. PLUS in low light conditions, optics are not an option, as they will most always not gather as much light as just your eyes will. PLUS all the abuse that your turkey gun is subject to, crawling fields, and getting knocked around, I dont trust them to stay true, where as a fiber optic sight will always stay acurate. THE ONLY time that I would even consider optics, is if your gun patterns so poorly that you need the optics to correct it, but even then I would reconsider my choke, load, and even my gun before adding optics on a turkey gun. These birds are 50 yards away AT MOST, and you are throwing 30 - 50 inch patterns at that distance with a shotgun! If you truely feel that optics are necessary to hit a target at that close of distance, then maybe a cheap case of target loads, and $5.00 box of 100 clay pigeons are needed. I dont mean to rant about this subject, and I am sure that a lot of hunters will disagree with me, but personally, i obviously think optics on a turkey gun are silly.
Old 05-06-2005, 09:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

I had a Burris FFII 3-9x40mm on my Ithaca deer/turkey Model 37 combo.

I took it off, and opted for the new Bushnell trophy reddot, with 4 dial-in reticles in green/red. I find it to be as bright as the gobble-dot fiber optic sites that came with the gun.

I actually don't worry about missing the birds between 30-50 yards, because the pattern opens up to ~24 inches. However, at 20 yards, about 95% of the shotload is the size of a slug, and misses are much more common under 30 yards than ever before because of shot constriction.

I would suggest, if you have good eyesight, to go with fiber optic sights or a reddot scope. The Burris had ~4 inches of eye relief, but the reddot are infinite---they also allow you the opportunity to use either hand to squeeze the trigger...

When the dot is red, the turkey's dead...doesn't matter how or at which angle you look through the scope, only where the dot lies...
Old 05-06-2005, 10:08 AM

i love my red dot scope and it is a cheaper one...Simmons 30mm. Only 39.00 bucks and stands up to 3-1/2" magnums. Aimpoint has a new one that is awesome in camo but carries a 400.00 price tag with it

Blasted my first turkey this year with it...just do not forget to turn em off when not is use during the day or you'll have a dead battery when you need it the most!

Truglo has a nice camo red dot as well for about 60.00 I think.
Old 05-06-2005, 10:27 AM

I really like my Simmons 2X Pro Diamond scope. Have used it the past 4 years with no problems. I like it because you focus on one thing and can clearly see if there are any obstructions in your way like small saplings or branches. Not sure I would want anything beyond 2X.
Old 05-06-2005, 11:55 AM
Giant Nontypical

I prefer either the hi-viz rifle-type fiber optic sights or a good red-dot. The $60 Bushnell has worked wonderfully for me.
Old 05-06-2005, 12:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

I prefer fiber optic sights, with windage and elevation adjustments.