Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

boresighting a shotgun?

Old 07-20-2004, 10:07 AM
Fork Horn

Default boresighting a shotgun?

When boresighting a shotgun with a scope should you leave the choke in or screw it out? I have a extended turkey choke in the gun and boresighted it with it . I then checked it after I screwed the choke out and the boresighing alignment was not in the same place as with the choke in. Anyone know which way it should be done?
Old 07-20-2004, 10:31 AM

Default RE: boresighting a shotgun?

I would give it a shot with the choke in. I have noticed when patterning my shot gun--- when I change chokes---the center of my pattern is sometimes different from the previous choke---requiring me to adjust my scope accordingly.
Old 07-20-2004, 10:37 AM
Fork Horn

I won't be changing the choke it is strictly a turkey gun. It is the Ithaca Mod. 37 Turkeystrom with extended choke. I just though someone might know the proper way to do it. My guess is boresight it with choke in. Thanks
Old 07-21-2004, 12:24 PM

Where the gun shoots with the choke in is where the scope will eventually be aligned. Get some small game loads (2-3/4in.) for sighting in to save shoulder and expense. After the scope has been zeroed, pattern with turkey loads for max. effective range.
Threads on the choke tubes not perfectly aligned will change the point of aim/point of impact of the gun.
I strongly recommend the CanterLever Bar for scope mounting as it aligns the scope with the barrel and not with the receiver of the gun.