Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
SP-10 Choke Tube and Shot,what to use? >

SP-10 Choke Tube and Shot,what to use?

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

SP-10 Choke Tube and Shot,what to use?

Old 02-21-2002, 08:04 AM

Default SP-10 Choke Tube and Shot,what to use?

I recently purchased a Remington SP-10 10 gauge. I was wondering which choke tube is preferred for those of you that have this gun. The model I purchased is the 23" barrel turkey special that comes with a turkey choke. However, if there is another out there that is better, I would prefer to spend the money on the better choke. I will be doing some testing with the choke I have but always open to suggestions. I was also wondering what shot that those of you use who carry a 10 gauge use for turkeys. I have heard good things about tungstun and read about Hevi-shot. However I am not into barrel damage that the Hevi-shot may cause.
Thanks and good luck this season.

Let 'Em Go, Let 'Em Grow
Old 02-21-2002, 08:51 AM

Default RE: SP-10 Choke Tube and Shot,what to use?

Kyler Ide wait awhile ,for the jury to come in on the heavy shot.Ive read numerous reports of barrel damage and even destroyed recievers gecause of them.There's no way of really knowing if the claims that are made,are true,or supposition.I have a Sp-10 that is in semi retirement,26" barrel,and has a NU-Line .675 choke.Pattern's were alright out to 45 yards,with Federal 3 1/2 No# 4's.Ive tried a Hasting's in it once,and thought that it patterened a little better than the NULINE,but didnt buy it.It's all trial and error,and finding the right combo.Ide say Hasting's would be a fine starting place,if your not happy with the choke that you now have.Good Luck!
Old 02-21-2002, 05:33 PM

kyler,
i to just got a new sp-10 w/ 26" barrel. went to the range last week and did some shooting and was disappointed to say the least with my 40 yd patterns. i ordered a kicks gobblin thunder tube (.690) to try. heard good things about it. my buddy has a hastings and a tru glo strut stopper were going to pattern soon. i will fill you in when i get the results. if you want email me ([email protected]) and i will keep you in touch with our progress. safe hunting.
Old 02-21-2002, 07:25 PM

I have the same gun. Almost any aftermarket choke will be better than the Rem factory choke. I think the factory xfull turkey is around a .720 or .730. I have a Hastings .690 which is usually recommended for #4s. The .685 and smaller are recommended for #5s or 6s. I tend to use larger shot. Even with the factory choke my 10 would shoot the Remington #4 factory loads better than the #5 Winchester or Federals. Last year I switched to Nitro shells and was very pleased. You can read the posts over the past few days on Nitros for that info. For some reason my gun likes #4s. I now shoot a 3 ounce load of #4 nickel.

No jakes!