Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 Pennsylvania's first Youth Day and River Valley Outfitters. >

Pennsylvania's first Youth Day and River Valley Outfitters.

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Pennsylvania's first Youth Day and River Valley Outfitters.

Old 04-27-2004, 04:54 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default Pennsylvania's first Youth Day and River Valley Outfitters.

PA held it's first Youth Day for spring gobbler. I was working with Melody Zullinger from the PA's Federation of Sportsmens Club in an essay contest for youth hunters to win a free hunt from River Valley Outfitters and in conjunction with River Valley Game Calls and ASAT Camo we held it this past Saturday, April 24th. The winning essay was picked and we called the youth to congratulate him and he came to hunt with River Valley Outfitters. We also offered one other youth a return trip from a previous hunt and he also was so excited to come back. One other father booked a hunt for his son to hunt with us and at the end of the day, we had 3 youths proudly grinning behind three downed birds. We took 3 longbeards for 3 youths ages 13, and 14 and the best was my youth at 10.25 inches, just ove4r 19 lbs and sporting roughly 3/4 in spurs...a 2 year old. THe whole hunt was captured on video by Chuck Pensyl, Creative Director for ASAT Camo who provided camo for all who hunted and Ray Smith of River Valley Game Calls and River Valley Outfitters provided calls for the winning essay. It was a great day and I'll try to post some pics.

This is a picture of the youth I took, that's me kneeling beside him and his father standing behind.

This is a shot of the three youths with their dads kneeling behind and the guides standing with Melody Zullinger from the PFSC...I'm on the left.

Here's a picture of the tom our essay contest winner shot as he came in. The pic was taken by Melody of the PFSC.

Another shot of the group.
Old 04-27-2004, 08:35 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Pennsylvania's first Youth Day and River Valley Outfitters.

Congrats Rob on a Job Well done. Hats off to you!! Pat
Old 04-28-2004, 06:52 AM

That was truly a fantastic hunt and one none who participated in will soon forget. Everything went very well and the youngsters did a great job, not only with bagging some beautiful gobblers, but just watching them us their safety training and hunting skills learned from their fathers. Danny, the young man I was fortunate enough to video, made me as proud as my own son would. Never once did I have to tell him what to do. He was a skilled veteran at 13.
Rob dueled with a beautiful hen for over 10 minutes at sometimes less than 10 feet from the camera, and most of the time not seeing her from her head down, couldn't see a beard and Danny showed the restraint of an expert.
When the big bird finally gave us a gobble, we had to set up in a less than advantageous setting. Danny and I were on a slight hump and where I sat Danny down at a tree, I had another large tree at a 45 degree angle to my right if I sat on Danny’s right. So, against all I've been taught about concealment, I went to Danny’s left rear in the wide open. The first thing I thought was..."don't sit here", but then I thought to myself, I tell everyone how great the ASAT will work, even in the wide open, now lets prove it one more time. Well, needless to say, I was seated on a Niff-T-Seat, about 10" off the ground with the tripod straddling my legs, sticking out like the proverbial sore thumb, silhouetted against the horizon but that bird never had a clue we were there. The rise we were sitting on was high enough that Rob and Pete (Danny's Dad), couldn't see the bird, even though they were only 15 yards behind us and the bird was only 15 yards to the front. That bird made 3 sweeps, zigzagging towards Robs seductive calling and never saw it coming.
Again, thanks to Melody Zullinger, PA Federation of Sportsman’s Clubs for the opportunity to be a part of the essay contest, and , Ray, Rob and Doug from River Valley Outfitters for an unforgettable time, as usual. I was honored to be a part of it all...
Old 04-28-2004, 02:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Way to go Rob!!! Congrats on a super job!!
Old 04-28-2004, 04:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

That's so great Rob.Congrats Good to see younguns interested in the sport.
Old 04-28-2004, 04:52 PM

Congratts to all the young hunters, Thats what its all about.
Old 04-28-2004, 08:26 PM
Typical Buck

That's what I'm talkin' about, boys! Great job!
Old 04-29-2004, 10:58 AM
Boone & Crockett

Pat_Ely, thanks but hats off to the youth for their participation and their fathers for getting them involved....it was my pleasure to host, guide and call in this particular bird....I wouldn't have missed it for anything.

Fozzdik, Chuck, thanks again to you and ASAT Camo for helping out, providing ASAT camo for the youths and fathers and also for video taping. I know with talking to you, you feel just as excited as I do and I'm so looking forward to seeing that footage....YOU DA MAN.

Maytom, thanks guy...I thought maybe you'd get a kick out of a triple......when we gonna share the woods..Lol?[8D]

Jalvja, I wondered when you'd be wondering in....got those calls dusted off for Saturday....I understand your doing fine already.....congrat's.

Turkey Addict, you couldn't be more right. We need to keep our youngsters involved and I think I can tell you, we have 3 more to the ranks of future involved turkey hunters....

Doemaster, preach on, preach on...and thanks.....I was almost in tears when I heard that gun go off and I ran out and saw that longbeard laying there. I don't have kids of my own and I had the honor of taking this youngster out bowhunting last fall... he's exceptional and funny in the woods....his dad couldn't be more proud and neither could I.
Old 04-29-2004, 01:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Wow i guess i wish i entered , thats cool to see other young hunters downing some birds , but my luck jsut wasnt right saturday , i saw 3 gobblers but non were strutting or gobbling , jsut feeding around in a group.. maybe saturday ill have better luck!
Old 04-30-2004, 04:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

those are sme awesome pics [8D] thanks for sharing....

Quick Reply: Pennsylvania's first Youth Day and River Valley Outfitters.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.