Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 Coyote vs 3.5" #5 Hevi Shot >

Coyote vs 3.5" #5 Hevi Shot

Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Coyote vs 3.5" #5 Hevi Shot

Old 04-22-2004, 11:41 AM

Default Coyote vs 3.5" #5 Hevi Shot

Coyote lost. Had one try to slip up on my strutting tom and hen decoys this am right before fly down, 2 gobblers were close and had cut me off on some light clucks. I thought about just scaring it off, but i then realized (maybe)why the turkeys in the area had been real skittish[:@], so at 30 steps Mrs. Coyote was hammered. That heavi shot is brutal, knocked her backwards and stone dead. believe it or not, one gobbler still responded about 15 min later, but soon shut up and i'm guessing was henned up. The other gobbler that i never heard from was much closer and was in the area where they almost always fly into the field first, guess the blast spooked him...

Whats strange is i left the dekes and the coyote in the field (edge) as i could drive to the area, and i went to run an errand on the farm when i left, and when i came back 30 min later, 3 deer were feeding no more than 20 yds from the dead coyote, guess deer aren't too scared of coyotes??
Old 04-22-2004, 12:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Coyote vs 3.5" #5 Hevi Shot

Neat story. I was hunting with my dad last weekend and believe it or not, we saw 5 jakes chasing a coyote!!!! When the coyote got close enough, my dad took a shot with his bow. He missed but the thing was moving quite a bit.
Old 04-22-2004, 05:25 PM

I've never seen it, but i've had friends that have seen jakes gang up on big gobblers and kick his butt. I don't think i'd want 4 or 5 of them trying to whip me..., so i could see why Wiley Coyote would split.

This Coyote i shot this am appeared to have been nursing, so i did feel bad that there are little pups starving to death, but i got over it, never pass up a chance to thin the coyote herd...
Old 04-22-2004, 08:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Be glad you got the female.

I read an article a few years ago saying thet coyotes are long-term, if not life-mates. The female tends the pups and the male hunts for both of them, and later, the pups too. The female will go a short ways for a pretty sure meal. If you kill the male first, that forces the female to hunt AND tend the pups, so she goes after easier game -- like calves. That's when they get to be a nuisance.

I wouldn't worry about those pups. They would only grow up to hunt together as a family group. In such numbers, they WILL bring down deer. I've watched them do it! AND they're prety tough on poults. If you can find the den, or if you think you know the area, spread out some meat scraps upwind, and then hide and wait. You might be able to rid yourself of a problem that would plague you next year.

According to that article, (and it may have been in a Mississippi MDWFP publication) those pups were probably born in February, which means they are old enough to wean and survive if Papa can provide meat. Have no mercy! Go on back and keep an eye out for Papa. He's going to have to keep on the move to provide that much meat.

IMO you did good getting rid of that pest. Good luck on the rest of your season!
Old 04-22-2004, 08:57 PM
Typical Buck

...Great kill,they dont like turkey loads...
Old 04-22-2004, 09:07 PM

that bitch didn't
Old 04-23-2004, 08:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have a friend of mine tell me that he blasted a coyote at 20 yards in the face with a 3.5 load of #4's and didn't kill it. I'm thinking eaither he cant judge yardage very well or he's full of ship. I know a load of 4's from my gun at 20 yards would of folded that yote!!!
Old 04-24-2004, 09:14 AM
st1

Nice job T G. I was calling for a friend of mine a few weeks back and a yote tried to sneak up on the "hen". My bud didnt see it and my gun was against a tree so it didnt get shot. They have either killed or ran off a flock I hunted last year. Place was full of birds, but now its just full of coyotes. I'll tend to them bastards after turkey season.[:@]
Old 04-24-2004, 10:04 AM

Strichtnine(sp?) in some hamburger balls will do the trick, but can kill other animals like coons, possums, bobcats, etc... Haven't done it in awhile, but these damn 'yotes have ruined a really good spot, birds will not come into that small field now, but earlier in the year they were there every morning. Thinking about getting a coyote call tape and introducing them to a .243
Old 04-24-2004, 08:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

I wanted to ask you, how bad did it mess him up. I mean if I shot one like that would I be able to make a rug out of it.

Quick Reply: Coyote vs 3.5" #5 Hevi Shot

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.