Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Velocity and Energy

Old 04-02-2004, 02:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Velocity and Energy

I shoot Win. Supreme #6's, 2 oz. load that Win. claims travels at 1125fps. They also offer 1 3/4oz. Hi Vel. loads at 1300 fps.

Does anyone know what the energy difference is for those pellets at 30, 35, and 40 yards? How much energy per pellet is needed to kill a turkey?
Old 04-02-2004, 02:21 PM

Default RE: Velocity and Energy

I read an article on that once, and can't remember the specific details, but I can tell you the basics. I believe it requires at least 1100 fps muzzle velocity for killing penetration and the more energy the better. Your pellet energy increases as the density of the pellet increases. Thus a #5 will have more energy than a #6 and on down. #5's are a good comprimise between #4's with the most energy and #6's with the most number of pellets. This is the reason hevi-shot is such a rave. The density of #6 Hevi-Shot is like a #4 in lead, so you have many more pellets with the energy of a #4 lead. Barrel length also affects velocity. Most posted velocities on shell boxes are from 26 to 30 inch barrels. Short barrels don't achieve this velocity and I've read that for every inch over 21" you can add about 17 fps. Check Remington's website and look at hevi-shot for density and energy comparisons to lead.
Hope this helps.

Widow Maker
Old 04-02-2004, 02:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks Widow Maker. I know a lot of the basics (double the velocity, quadruple the energy) but I believe #6s are sufficient to kill turkeys out to 40 yards and that is my max. distance for my pattern. I'm thinking that might be the fringe of energy/kill zone but just looking for other's experience or theory. I've also had a turkey at 20 yards take a full load of #4's to the head, flatten him like a pancake, and he got back up.
Old 04-02-2004, 03:20 PM
Typical Buck

..I know one thing,a 3 inch mag shell will hit them hard...but in the golden years
the remington 2 3/4 inch nitro mag #5 shot was hard to beat...my friend has never
changed shells,hits hard....
Old 04-02-2004, 07:25 PM

I remember watching one of the old truth videos and on it will primos was talkin bout' the good ole' days when they would shoot em' with 7.5 shot or 8 and they wouldnt kill the turkey they would just temporarily (sp?) knock it out. They didnt kill the bird until they ran up to it and twisted its neck. But back to your question if shooting #6 lead in high velocity I have always been told 40 is the magic number.
Old 04-03-2004, 09:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm sure a lot of hunters will tell you that they have dropped turkeys at 40 yards with #6's. I just wonder if they really were 40 yards or more like 30-35 yards[]. To be honest with you I think 6's are pushing it at 40 yards. I shot #5's for the reason stated by Widow Maker. Try Win #5's...
Old 04-04-2004, 07:13 AM
Giant Nontypical

Power, heres a link for Nitro Ammo Co. It has some info about FPS and energy, scroll down just a little on the page, the heading is titled "advanced technology for guns and ammo", hope this helps.

http://www.nitrocompany.com/pattern.htm
Old 04-04-2004, 07:53 AM

Question: Is it true that maximum muzzle velocity, in a shotgun, is achieved before the shot leaves the barrell (unlike a bullet or slug)? And that up that point bbl length doesen't increase velocity? I thought I read this somewhere.
Old 04-04-2004, 02:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for the replies. Since my current gun will only pattern a killing pattern out to 35 yards I feel like #6's are fine for now. If I ever get it (or a new one) to pattern out to 40+ I'll start to think about changing shot size and load. For now I have to get them kind of close anyway so the 6's have the best pattern for that range.