Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
Osceola WMA romp and stomp >

Osceola WMA romp and stomp

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Osceola WMA romp and stomp

Old 03-22-2017, 11:27 AM
Spike

Default Osceola WMA romp and stomp

Got into the 'usual' spot at a romp and stomp, it was very still, very cool and we figured we'd run and gun a bit but would hold out in an area that always holds turkeys through at least an hour past sunrise.

About 45 min before sunrise a guy 300 or so yards away starts hooting terribly and gobbling at his own calls with a box call. About shooting hours another guy comes in pretty close to us. Flash lights at him, hoot, whist, cough, nothing. He sets up <100 yards from us and starts yelping at the fake gobbler. After 5 minutes or so of deliberation we hightail it. That whole situation is a new one to me.

Anyways, off to plan B, but have to divert b/c someone else decided it would be a good idea to set up on the main in/out walking road, had heard us coming, and started yelping. Not wanting to get shot, and to a lesser extent not wanting to be the one to (inevitably) ruin the other guy's setup (although I'm sure somebody had to), we beat through the jungle to an area I had luck at in the past and figured was devoid of pressure.

Set up a few past 9 (long walk), started 3 yelp sequences with a couple cuts, and at 9:30 I heard one waaay off w/ the use of walker game ear muffs (bud didn't hear that first gobble). Gave it a few minutes, yelped again, and he fired back closer (we both heard that one).

He came in right on a string, I figured my bud would have a slam dunk of a shot, but the bird skirted a bit and gave me a broadside window at ~38 yards after firing off at 60 and 45 yards (bud watched him gobble...it was close enough to have me shaking like a French soldier). He about puffed up to strut or gobble again, gave me a shot window, put his head up when I finalized my aim, and he went down stone cold.

Never fun getting jammed up on a hunt, but it worked out great and I got a better handle on new-ish ground. Had 3 more gobble in the area waaay out...may have to revisit that spot later in the season

Last edited by shemp; 03-22-2017 at 11:30 AM.
Old 03-22-2017, 11:29 AM
Spike

Old 03-22-2017, 12:01 PM
Boone & Crockett

Congrats on your fine bird...
Old 03-22-2017, 12:20 PM
Spike

Good stuff amigo
Old 03-22-2017, 12:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Great job. Gotta love public land romp and stomps.
Old 03-22-2017, 01:32 PM
JW
Super Moderator

Hey Congratulations on a well earned bird.
And Congratulations on a very fine set of hunting ethics!

JW
Old 03-22-2017, 01:48 PM
Fork Horn

Congrats on a nice bird!
Old 03-22-2017, 01:49 PM
Fork Horn

Congrats. Been there and done that, with the public land guys.
Do you hunt in sandles?
Old 03-22-2017, 06:13 PM
Spike

LOL, no, not usually; change out of the rubber boots after a hot walk out of the swamp. Pic was after visiting the check station. Wish we'd brought a camera or phone w/ us, it was pretty back there. Set up in wingman chairs on opposite ends of a deadfall cypress about 3 and half feet in diameter. Wild oranges all around, and some shorty swamp cabbages. But, I'll take what I can get
Old 03-23-2017, 12:54 AM
Fork Horn

My hunting buddy always gives me a hard time about it, but I can not wait to get back to the truck and get the boots off and slide into some crocs.
Congrats on the bird. I think if you kill a bird on public land, you have really accomplished something.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.