Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Chokes

Old 02-12-2017, 07:44 AM
Giant Nontypical

I wish they made the XRs in 2 3/4", as I have to use their older turkey loads in my Model 1200 Winchester. I used the Benelli my buddy left up here two years ago when he flew back to FL the following Spring with 3" XRs and the pattern they had at 40 yards was unreal. He sold that shotgun to another friend of his last Spring that lives in upper MI and I gave the guy the 8 remaining shells in the box I had bought and told him he was good to go for 8 years with them!
Old 02-12-2017, 07:52 AM
Spike

I would recommend the Hevishot HEVI13 Turkey choke
for your Mossberg.....you might wanna try some
Magnum Blend shells as well
Old 02-13-2017, 07:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

I got a JEBs in my 835 that is just awesome. I think its .670.
Old 02-14-2017, 09:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Topgun 3006
I wish they made the XRs in 2 3/4", as I have to use their older turkey loads in my Model 1200 Winchester. I used the Benelli my buddy left up here two years ago when he flew back to FL the following Spring with 3" XRs and the pattern they had at 40 yards was unreal. He sold that shotgun to another friend of his last Spring that lives in upper MI and I gave the guy the 8 remaining shells in the box I had bought and told him he was good to go for 8 years with them!
They do in a sense. They are called Winchester XR Roosters. They are 2-3/4", 1-1/4oz of 4's,5's or 6's. 1300fps. Same polyresin shot charge. That's what I have a guy shooting a Win Model 12 and a full choke and is BRUTAL out to 30-35yds like nothing I have seen before!!! Out patterns the Win XX Mags and Remmy Nitro Mags. And they both have 1-1/2oz of shot.
Old 02-14-2017, 10:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

I could be mistaken but another turkey hunting forum was talking about Winchester coming out with the 2 3/4 in XR. It's being introduced along side the 20 gauge XR.
Old 02-14-2017, 10:26 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by RPD63
I could be mistaken but another turkey hunting forum was talking about Winchester coming out with the 2 3/4 in XR. It's being introduced along side the 20 gauge XR.
Hot dang, you are right! I just went into the Winchester website and looked under new products. Along with the 20 gauge XR they are now coming out with a 2 3/4" 12 gauge load of 1 1/4 oz #5s at 1300 fps! If I can find some and they pattern like the 3" in that Benelli, I will be using them in my Winchester Model 1200 from now on.

Last edited by Topgun 3006; 02-14-2017 at 10:38 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 02-15-2017, 08:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hot dang, you are right! I just went into the Winchester website and looked under new products. Along with the 20 gauge XR they are now coming out with a 2 3/4" 12 gauge load of 1 1/4 oz #5s at 1300 fps! If I can find some and they pattern like the 3" in that Benelli, I will be using them in my Winchester Model 1200 from now on.
I have 2 bxs of 20ga on order for a month now, 5's and 6's, nothing yet. They more or less already have that load out now. Winchester Lokd n Lethal Rooster. 2-3/4", 1-1/4oz of 4's, 5's and 6's. I was shooting them last year and they are awesome!!!!! I said earlier that my buddies dad is shooting them in a model 12. and they pattern amazing!!!!! I was shooting them at Trapshooting games like Annie Oakleys and BackPorch shoots in addition to my own reloads. Really look cool at night under the lights!!!! That polyresin goes out like a long white cloud like a bomb went off in a bag of flour!!!!!!! People were saying that I was loading flour in my shells and I bet them that I was shooting factory shells. No takers!! Would break clay birds well over 60yds without so much as a problem if I done my part and that was with 6's.
Old 02-15-2017, 09:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by SecondChance
I have 2 bxs of 20ga on order for a month now, 5's and 6's, nothing yet. They more or less already have that load out now. Winchester Lokd n Lethal Rooster. 2-3/4", 1-1/4oz of 4's, 5's and 6's. I was shooting them last year and they are awesome!!!!! I said earlier that my buddies dad is shooting them in a model 12. and they pattern amazing!!!!! I was shooting them at Trapshooting games like Annie Oakleys and BackPorch shoots in addition to my own reloads. Really look cool at night under the lights!!!! That polyresin goes out like a long white cloud like a bomb went off in a bag of flour!!!!!!! People were saying that I was loading flour in my shells and I bet them that I was shooting factory shells. No takers!! Would break clay birds well over 60yds without so much as a problem if I done my part and that was with 6's.
Interesting. Where do you have them on order at? I may as well get in line. Thanks
Old 02-15-2017, 11:53 AM
Giant Nontypical

Those Rooster loads must not be using the same technology that the XR turkey loads are or Winchester would not just be recommending them for pheasants. I think I mentioned that to you before when you made that comment about them. The new turkey loads have a completely different order number on them that doesn't match the pheasant loads.
Old 02-16-2017, 08:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

Those Rooster loads must not be using the same technology that the XR turkey loads are or Winchester would not just be recommending them for pheasants. I think I mentioned that to you before when you made that comment about them. The new turkey loads have a completely different order number on them that doesn't match the pheasant loads.
I fully understand and agree to a point. I would venture to say while they are not recommending them for turkeys are because they are only 1-1/4oz of shot and not more. But according to my pattern boards, if I were limited to only 2-3/4inch, I would without question shoot them over any other shell I have yet to pattern in that range.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.