Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
Technique for locating toms >

Technique for locating toms

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Technique for locating toms

Old 12-24-2016, 06:34 AM
Fork Horn

Default Technique for locating toms

I am brand new to the turkey world and have a question for yall experienced turkey gunners. I plan on hunting public land next spring and theres a spot i deer hunted this year, its surrounded by water on 3 sides. I call it a lil hardwood peninsula. I saw a few turkeys in there in the evenings. Its about 3 hrs away from my home. So my plan is to go out to the spot the day before the season opens in the dark am and call out a few owl hoots and pray i hear one gobble back at me so i can get an idea of where to setup the next mornin. Is this a good tactic ? Does the owl call actually work?
Old 12-24-2016, 06:43 AM
Giant Nontypical

That should work, but do it the night before the opener just before it gets dark. They may still be in there and not answer, so if you don't get a response, I'd still be set up in a strategic spot before daylight opening morning.
Old 12-24-2016, 07:24 AM
Boone & Crockett

Just don't call to them with a turkey call. Sometimes just slamming your car door will cause them to shock gobble. A loud crow call will work as well.
Old 12-24-2016, 08:10 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Topgun 3006
That should work, but do it the night before the opener just before it gets dark. They may still be in there and not answer, so if you don't get a response, I'd still be set up in a strategic spot before daylight opening morning.
Ok thank you
Old 12-24-2016, 08:11 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Oldtimr
Just don't call to them with a turkey call. Sometimes just slamming your car door will cause them to shock gobble. A loud crow call will work as well.
Ok ill have to get a crow call too in case the hoot dont work
Old 12-24-2016, 02:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

I locate birds just as you described. Get out well before light and locate em using various calls, though not a turkey call as others have mentioned. As a bird sounds off, I mark it on my gps, if needed, and move on to strike another.
On public land, if you found a bird be confident that others have found it also. Always have a plan B....and C. Lol

Last edited by RPD63; 12-24-2016 at 02:45 PM.
Old 12-24-2016, 05:36 PM
Typical Buck

I have way better luck getting a tom(s) to sound off in the morning opposed to in the evening especially on public land. I would follow your initial plan by going early the morning before,but be patient, Toms will a lot of times gobble on their own with out you making a sound. But if the woods are waking up and you are starting to hear song birds singing and have yet to hear a gobble by all means use your owl call. The owl call works well most of the time in my experience. And like others have said if you can, go back and try to put one to bed. But do not be discouraged if you do not hear a tom in the evening, I would say that in the evening I get a response less than 10% of the time on public land. Half the time that I have gotten a Tom to gobble in the evening I used a coyote howl to get it. Good luck to you!
Old 12-24-2016, 05:59 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by RPD63
I locate birds just as you described. Get out well before light and locate em using various calls, though not a turkey call as others have mentioned. As a bird sounds off, I mark it on my gps, if needed, and move on to strike another.
On public land, if you found a bird be confident that others have found it also. Always have a plan B....and C. Lol
Thanks ray. Ill keep that in mind. I got a spot on a wma that is an hour walk thru the woods with no trails leading to it. Ive never seen another boot track or ribbon hopefully itll stay like that during turkey.
Old 12-24-2016, 06:00 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by grinder67
I have way better luck getting a tom(s) to sound off in the morning opposed to in the evening especially on public land. I would follow your initial plan by going early the morning before,but be patient, Toms will a lot of times gobble on their own with out you making a sound. But if the woods are waking up and you are starting to hear song birds singing and have yet to hear a gobble by all means use your owl call. The owl call works well most of the time in my experience. And like others have said if you can, go back and try to put one to bed. But do not be discouraged if you do not hear a tom in the evening, I would say that in the evening I get a response less than 10% of the time on public land. Half the time that I have gotten a Tom to gobble in the evening I used a coyote howl to get it. Good luck to you!
Thanks grinder. Appreciate ya
Old 12-25-2016, 04:46 AM
Dominant Buck

I use either an owl call (my voice) or a crow call depending on how dark/ light it is. Once the sun rises it is all turkey calls. Like OT said almost anything will cause a shock gobble though depending on the bird. I used to hunt with a guy who had a peacock call that made them gobble. No peacocks in VT......

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.