Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Best Turkey Gun

Old 01-01-2017, 05:03 PM
JW
Super Moderator

I went to a youth model 20 gauge Remington 870 shooting 3 inch Winchester Supreme #5 Wow is that puppy light to carry.
No need for 3.5 shells if you draw a 20 yard line in the sand and make yourself stick to it.

It's all about the hunt for me.

With being said there are many fine firearms that will kill a turkey.
My old stand by is a 12 GA 3 inch Remington 1187 with a 21 inch cantilever barrel and a Nikon turkey pro scope.
Shot a parcel of birds with that. I have also used a Benelli Super Black Eagle 3.5 inch 12 GA but the shells for it are more pricey and quite frankly the extra half inch didn't kill them any deader at the range I like to call them into.
Also used a Std 12 GA 870 with just the bead sight first starting out.
However to The closer the better. Shooting a turkey past my given limit is not how I hunt.
And as of late I am also using a crossbow.
Must haves tho.
a extra full choke is a must have. A tight pattern is far better.
Sights on a shot gun whether Tru Glo or a scope is a must have. You are shooting a very tight pattern. The use of sights forces one to concentrate better which helps keep your head down and the result is fewer birds wounded.
But all that is how I hunt. Others may differ. Find a good firearm. Pattern That firearm And practice.
you'll be fine.
JW

Last edited by JW; 01-01-2017 at 05:32 PM.
Old 01-04-2017, 09:36 AM
Typical Buck

If I got a new one it would be a 20g and I would shoot TSS.
Old 01-18-2017, 02:32 AM
Typical Buck

Remington express magnum 12 gauge with a .660 Rhino choke, great pattern out past 50 yards not that I ever needed to shoot that far.
Old 01-23-2017, 04:13 PM
Super Moderator

Mossberg 500 for me. Its a turkey killin machine.
Old 01-24-2017, 04:57 AM
Spike

Remington 870 12 ga. It's a fairly cheap gun and has killed just about every single one of my turkeys. Only downfall is the wooden stocked one like I have can be a bit on the heavier side but you can easily buy a synthetic and shave off a few pounds. I use it for duck and dove hunting as well.
Old 01-24-2017, 08:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have a Win X2 with a custom ported barrel, polished and forcing cones lengthened and polished. Wrights Superior HS tube, Burris pistol scope. Winchester LongBeard XR's 3" 5 or 6's. Deadly beyond what I would say here.

BUT!!!!! With all this sitting in the safe ready to go. I let other guys use it and I am looking forward to shooting my 20ga again this year with either my own rolled loads of 3", ITX shot 6's, buffered and a Wrights Swarm tube and TruGlo sights or if I can get my hands on some of the new Winny LongBeard XR's in the 20ga Ill try them as well. We shall see!!

Last edited by SecondChance; 01-31-2017 at 10:20 AM.
Old 01-24-2017, 08:06 AM
Fork Horn

Benelli Mark 2 with an Indian creek choke, very comfortable out to 45 yards and will do 50 yards
if necessary although I much prefer keeping under 40 yards whenever possible. The best Turkey
gun for you is the one that feels comfortable with not too long of a barrel and that you have found the
right choke so you get a good pattern out to at least 40 yards.