Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Fall Turkey!

Old 10-23-2016, 11:30 PM
Typical Buck

Smile Fall Turkey!

Had the nice cold front come through Northeast Florida this past weekend. Had to get in the stand and try for deer. Had 2 does right after daybreak. Right about sunrise had a little gobbler fly down, never knew they roosted right by me, I guess they switched it up. Anyway, everything was fine for a while and then the calvary came. 7 more Turkeys came in and a couple actually ran the deer off literally. I decided to wait it out. They all left for about 30 minutes and came back. Then left again. I decided to try my luck and set up differently to try and get one of them. I knew they would come back. It was about 9 and they all come back. I had the bigger one lined up and pulled the trigger. As that happened another Turkey went directly behind him and got a 2 for 1 special. The bigger bird hado a 9 inch beard with 1 1/4 spurs. The smaller bird beard was about 6.5 inches. I didn't really think Turkey's could be that aggressive and thought deer and turkey got a long fine. I don't know much about turkey and behavior but the deer didn't mind the one turkey, but they did mind the entire calvary. The deer kept coming back and forth, but then turkey's finally ran them off. Pretty weird. Pretty fun hunt and the first time I had a double with one bullet and on top of that it was with my black powder. No meat was destroyed either! I was hoping they would go away but a few already came back. Oh well. Time to get focused on deer again.
Attached Thumbnails Fall Turkey!-resized_20161022_091110001.jpg   Fall Turkey!-resized_20161022_090002001.jpg  
Old 10-24-2016, 03:32 AM
Fork Horn

Old 10-24-2016, 07:56 AM
Super Moderator

Cool hunt!!
Old 10-24-2016, 09:13 AM
Dominant Buck

Back when baiting was legal in this state someone left a corn pile along a meadow which could be seen from the road. I watched one day as a group of deer moved in and started to feed and were pushed off by the turkeys. Then it changed and the deer ran off the birds. After a while they all ate their fill but clearly didn't like each other. It was the doe and the hens that interacted. A small buck was there and so was a small gobbler but they just dumbed up and watched.
Old 10-24-2016, 06:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats! Looks like it'll be a good Thanksgiving for y'all!
Old 10-28-2016, 12:13 AM
Typical Buck

Oh yeah it should be. Nothing will beat fresh smoked turkey with smoked Mac n cheese and mashed potatoes with gravy!