Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
Bumped turkey off roost in the fall >

Bumped turkey off roost in the fall

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Bumped turkey off roost in the fall

Old 10-12-2016, 04:53 PM
Spike

Default Bumped turkey off roost in the fall

I'm a novice hunter and can be a bit impatient.
I had patterned a flock of fall hens to a roost, but tonight I was in the wrong set up facing the wrong direction and too close. I drove the half that noticed me some where else and bumped 1 off the roost when I tried to get out of the woods.

I'm not sure of the best course of action now is. I had planned on staying a way for a few days and returning. I would appreciate any advice, I'm self taught and these lessons are starting to sting.

Last edited by Milesb; 10-12-2016 at 05:17 PM.
Old 10-12-2016, 07:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

So it's actually a normal tactic to break up flocks in the morning, at least. Naturally, in a perfect world we'd pattern turkeys perfectly and never have to do this, but some hunters do try to scatter the flock and then use their mouth call to make them believe the dominant female hen is trying to re-assemble them.
Granted it sounds like you did this in the evening. I do not know how turkeys react to this; hopefully they'll pick up where they left off and you'll punch your tag, next time.
Old 10-13-2016, 05:50 AM
Spike

Appreciate the reply, put me a little more at ease. I did some reading and it turns out some use the break up tactic at night aswell apparently. Same premise you'll return in the morning for them to regroup and intercept one. However this morning I think I might have only imagined the tree yelps of a lone turkey while the ran came down. I don't want to push them on to the neighbouring property so I think I'll leave that neck of the woods alone for a few days now.

Does anyone know if the dominate turkey in the flock will roost first? If that was the case you would have a better idea where the others would head after breaking up the roost.
Old 10-13-2016, 06:56 AM
Dominant Buck

Knowing a roost spot is good information. I normally don't crowd them but do use that info to decide how to set up an ambush point. I normally just hunt turkey in the spring and since they often come out of the roost and go to a field early in the morning that info is good. Busting a flock in the fall and then calling them back is a good tactic that always works. If they bust out of the roost they normally will get back together on the way to where they were going to go.
Old 10-13-2016, 09:48 AM
Giant Nontypical

I never want to set-up closer than 100-150 yards to a active roost tree.

I would try to find a elevated position where I could see the roost tree and pattern them from a far (use binos if necessary).

The dominate hen is the one who determines where they roost.

The long beards are normally the last to roost......................

Take your time and keep your distance, until you have them patterned again.
Old 10-14-2016, 03:56 AM
Fork Horn

I'm not sure I understand what you said by "I drove the half that noticed me some where else ", but I'm assuming you flushed them out of the roost tree? I know it's a day too late now, but if that was the case, you did good, just get in there tomorrow and start calling, in all likelihood they'll want to get back together after spending a night alone in different trees. Good luck, fall turkey is definitely more challenging then spring turkey is.
Old 10-23-2016, 07:01 PM
Spike

The flock seemed comfortable enough to stay on the property, they started to roost 100 yards to the west of where I spooked them a week ago.

I had hoped to include a picture of a successful hunt but I couldn't close the deal. This morning I was in the right place at the right time to intercept them but after a rushed shot the best case senario is that it was a clean miss.

Looking forward to a rematch in 6 months.
Old 10-25-2016, 02:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Keep at it. Learn something from every hunt. You may have the basis for a head start next spring!
Old 11-05-2016, 12:19 AM
Fork Horn

My two cents worth is, if you haven't already done so pattern your
shot gun. It takes a good pattern to the head/neck to kill a
turkey cleanly---they are tough birds. Also if you haven't
invested in a good Turkey choke consider doing so.