Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Mag blend test

Old 05-12-2016, 01:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Mag blend test

well I read a post about somebody shooting mag blend at "60" yards at a real estate sign and ripping hole through it... I couldn't stand it so I did a little test of my own...

I took some pretty thin sheet metal from work... This metal was thin enough that you could bend it in half with one hand... Took this 2'x3' sheet and shot it at 50 yards... Laser range finder verified... Plus I paced it off and was right on the money!!! Sat the sheet metal against a old lawn chair and let one rip... The mag blend 3.5" shell snatched the metal off the ground!!! Inspected and found that only about 5-7 holes in metal wich appeared to be the #5's... The rest of the shot even the #7's seemed to put some really pronounced dents in metal... Then I took another sheet and shot a long beard XR #5's 3.5" and there was no sign of a pellet even thinking about comin through... The dents were less pronounced!!! So I've reconsidered my thoughts on heavi shot...

But to the guy who said "it put holes in real estate sign at "60" yards... BS!!!
Old 05-12-2016, 06:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have not tried the Magnum Blend, but have tested the new Hevi-Shot Triple Beard (#5,6,7 shot). The Triple Beard gives the best pattern out of my son's 20ga Weatherby with a Hevi-Shot choke. It has an even pattern from 10-40 yards, and then opens up too much for reliable shots past 45. The 40-45 'zone' is the maybe area, but he's not steady enough to take a shot past 35 (so we're both happy).

The Triple Beard did not outperform the Winchester Long Beard XR #6 out of my Ithaca with a Long Beard XR Choke. I can't even justify spending the money to try the Magnum Blend with the patterns I get at 50 yards with the Long Beard...

It shoots the Triple Beard well, so I may try the Magnum Blend next season in my son's 20ga. However, given how well his gun shoots the much cheaper Triple Beard ($13 for a box of 10 on sale at Cabelas), I doubt it...
Old 05-12-2016, 02:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

My buddy and I have been shooting Mag Blend for several years now. Very happy with the results. I pay $27 for the 3 inch stuff and they toss in a $10 rebate. In my opinion, great price for a very good shell.
Old 05-12-2016, 02:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

have never shot heavier than lead, have never actually tested penetration, however, I have whacked enough with lead 6's to know it will get it done if you have your gun sighted in and it patterns well enough.
RR
Old 05-12-2016, 04:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Ridge Runner
have never shot heavier than lead, have never actually tested penetration, however, I have whacked enough with lead 6's to know it will get it done if you have your gun sighted in and it patterns well enough.
RR

RR what's the farthest distance you've shot a gobbler with the 6's?
Old 05-13-2016, 01:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

cool test Thanks
Old 05-13-2016, 05:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

I bought a new Jebbs choke this year and tested Longbeards and Mag blend thru my 835 using 3in ers. The Mag blend put just under 300 pellets inside an 8in circle at 30 yards. The longbeards put just over 100. Ive heard a lot of good things about longbeards, but I've tried them in both my guns, using 3 different chokes, and they perform no where near Heavy 13 and the Mag blends.
Old 05-13-2016, 05:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Mr. Longbeard
well I read a post about somebody shooting mag blend at "60" yards at a real estate sign and ripping hole through it... I couldn't stand it so I did a little test of my own...

I took some pretty thin sheet metal from work... This metal was thin enough that you could bend it in half with one hand... Took this 2'x3' sheet and shot it at 50 yards... Laser range finder verified... Plus I paced it off and was right on the money!!! Sat the sheet metal against a old lawn chair and let one rip... The mag blend 3.5" shell snatched the metal off the ground!!! Inspected and found that only about 5-7 holes in metal wich appeared to be the #5's... The rest of the shot even the #7's seemed to put some really pronounced dents in metal... Then I took another sheet and shot a long beard XR #5's 3.5" and there was no sign of a pellet even thinking about comin through... The dents were less pronounced!!! So I've reconsidered my thoughts on heavi shot...

But to the guy who said "it put holes in real estate sign at "60" yards... BS!!!

Was just curious as to how Longbeards in #4 shot would do at that distance?
Old 05-13-2016, 06:14 AM
JW
Super Moderator

I use #4s copper plated Winchester Surpreme 3 inch rounds and have for years. I did use 6s but found 4s game me more distance and far better penetration. My 4s do just fine. My farthest? 57 yards and it was a Boo-boo....I had the hen in which brought the Tom in. I jumped the gun as I got excited.
After the shot, on my strut to my flopping Tom, I always mentally count my steps. When I reached 26 steps to where the hen was and I still had far more distance to the Tom - I just shouted what the heck did I do? Had I known I would not have taken that shot.

Now my Remington 11-87 is patterned just fine to 60 yards but I want under 20 yards or even closer. Is part of my game.

Passed on 3 strutting Jakes today at 6 paces! Up close - so close I am thinking of trying a spear!

JW
Old 05-13-2016, 06:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Time to go at it with bow lol

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.