Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Montrose area turkey

Old 02-02-2016, 09:03 AM
Spike

Default Montrose area turkey

Hi there,
New to the montrose area and am wondering where would be a good public lands area to start scouting turkeys.
Old 02-02-2016, 09:39 AM
JW
Super Moderator

Need more info on the exact location of Montrose. In what state is that located?

Have you tried Googling your state's DNR page. Some like WI do list places to hunt and what species are available.

Now is the time to scout any public area. Look for the food source. Northern states you will find the turkeys around any dairy farm or cattle feed lot. They need shelter from the wind and good stout Pines trees for a roost.
And they are in flocks - sometimes huge flocks of 100 birds or more.

Just some ideas for you.

JW.
Old 02-02-2016, 10:00 AM
Boone & Crockett

There is a Montrose in PA but I am sure there are others. If it is PA he can just bring up the PA Game Commission's website, click on state game lands and follow the directions to game lands in his area.
Old 02-05-2016, 08:28 AM
Typical Buck

Montrose Colorado also
Old 02-08-2016, 06:05 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by JW
Need more info on the exact location of Montrose. In what state is that located?

Have you tried Googling your state's DNR page. Some like WI do list places to hunt and what species are available.

Now is the time to scout any public area. Look for the food source. Northern states you will find the turkeys around any dairy farm or cattle feed lot. They need shelter from the wind and good stout Pines trees for a roost.
And they are in flocks - sometimes huge flocks of 100 birds or more.

Just some ideas for you.

JW.
Montrose Colorado, sw part of the state. Tons of public land with major elevation changes but not much in the way of good info on state sites.
Thanks for the advice.
Old 02-08-2016, 10:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hokey

if you go to the division of wildlife site, look at the hunting atlas and change the game species to turkey - it highlight were flocks are. It is REALLY specific. Around my area anyway, if there is a active flock, it's highlighted on the hunting atlas.
Old 02-11-2016, 09:56 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Jorgy
Hokey

if you go to the division of wildlife site, look at the hunting atlas and change the game species to turkey - it highlight were flocks are. It is REALLY specific. Around my area anyway, if there is a active flock, it's highlighted on the hunting atlas.
Hey your giving our secrets away........ That's ok I have a better tool lol
It is a very good tool hockey3075

Last edited by RockyMtnGobblers; 02-11-2016 at 10:02 AM.