Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
So what was your major mistake this year? >

So what was your major mistake this year?

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

So what was your major mistake this year?

Old 07-01-2015, 08:38 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by w123t
I took a shot where I cold see the birds head clearly but not much
else. The moral of this story is trying to shoot thru too much
brush is an excellent way to end up with a Turkey running away
after the shot. Should have waited for a better shot but I felt
he was getting nervous. In the future, I'll wait, I'd rather watch
him walk away with no shot taken than run off after I've shot.

+1

Good lesson for all of us to learn !!!

Thanks for that................................
Old 07-03-2015, 10:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

I learned, well I already knew, that my eyes are not young enough for fiber optic sights. I missed one and made a poor shoot on another gobbler, all due to blurred sights. I took the plunge and installed a Burris FF3 on my turkey gun.
Old 07-04-2015, 06:04 AM
JW
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by RPD63
I learned, well I already knew, that my eyes are not young enough for fiber optic sights. I missed one and made a poor shoot on another gobbler, all due to blurred sights. I took the plunge and installed a Burris FF3 on my turkey gun.
Been there done that and is why the Nikon scope installed 2003.

JW
Old 07-04-2015, 11:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

Same-o, same-o .... not enough patience. Best two chance I had I moved in too close and moved too soon. It was late season on both and I was antsy to put one in the bag.

It was a rough season where I hunt. I have had superb turkey hunting for decades on this property, but this past season was tough. Over 3000 acres of excellent habitat. Usually covered up with birds. I trampled more ground for less "sighting" than I think I ever in the past. I don;t get around like I did 40-45 years ago, but I can still put in 6-8 miles every morning ... but not as easily as i once could. My GPS told me I did so 9 mornings.

Closest I came to having a shot was a 60 yarder at a Tom easing down a woods roads in the moddle of the day. He was walking across the woods road. I couldn't even get him to check up.

Strangest turkey season I have ever experienced. Never saw a single hen !!! I find that very strange.
Old 07-08-2015, 11:47 AM
Boone & Crockett

Turkeys were hard to come by here due to our harsh winter last year.. I did blow it though on 2 big toms the first week. I am thinking it was because of changing my shotgun shells without doing enough testing with my shotgun.. After messing up on 2 birds I gave those shells away and went back to what I was using.. I soon picked up a big jake and then blew it while trying to sneak up on a large tom. I had 3 or 4 birds gobbling like crazy late in our season but they would not show.. It was a different area and I wished I had scouted it out better..
Lesson learned not to change shells without first testing them out good. Also try and do better scouting of new areas if I intend to hunt them..
Old 07-08-2015, 09:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

The lone opportunity I had at a good Tom I probably jumped the gun on him too earl and I just sent a couple feathers flying off of him. I should have waited to see if he would have came closer. This would have been my first mature Tom.
Old 07-16-2015, 05:57 AM
Fork Horn

Default tagged out too soon

I had an incredible year. Shot a good tom in season 1 and season 4 with a total hunt time of maybe an hour. I am NOT that good, just a lucky year. Hunted in my blind in my favorite location first season and he strutted, gobbled and ran 300 yards across a field to my decoys. Season 4 was in a new place to me. Got there at 2:00 PM and sat down to nap, but struck a gobble quick. Pulled him from 2 hens with my Avian-X breeder hen and limited calling. On my way back to the truck by 2:20. I didn't get much hunting time, but that's fine with me.

Old 08-08-2015, 02:08 PM
Typical Buck

My brother and I got on two very vocal toms. We slipped in as close as we dared and squatted down to see where they were. We had gotten much closer than we thought. They were so close that we didn't have time to sit down. I just kind of stretched out facing the way they were coming. Within about 30-45 seconds they were coming over the rise directly in front of us. I couldn't hold my gun up for any amount of time. There was one point where my brother was on the strutter and I had a clear 30 yard shot at the other bird. He was eye balling me so I was afraid to move. I could have counted it off and raised my gun and and shot in one motion but didn't want to mess it up. I kept hoping for them to go behind a tree. At one point I could have taken both in one shot but didn't want to raise, aim, shoot. Looking back I think both birds would have froze long enough to get a good shot off.