Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Choke question

Old 03-03-2015, 09:42 PM
Spike

Default Choke question

I've been looking for turkey chokes for 20 gauge(Mossberg) and have found a choke with a constriction of 575", it says it can shoot lead shot and copper plated, but is it safe to shoot #5 through this choke?
Just wondering cause I don't want to hurt my gun or injure my self Lol.
Old 03-03-2015, 10:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you are talking about number 5 shot in lead or copper plated lead then yes it should be fine. Just don't shoot any of the denser than lead shot through a choke that isn't rated for it.
Old 03-04-2015, 10:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Ditto .... according to what you said is the manufacturer's info, any lead or copper coated lead should be good to go. #5's are a good choice for turkey. So is the 20 ga. Be sure to check a few different factory loads to see which patterns the best. Good luck !
Old 03-04-2015, 11:29 AM
Giant Nontypical

.575 is a very tight constriction. Here is a quick synopsis on chokes and as you will see in the article they don't even mention one that tight. Many people think the tighter the choke the better the pattern, but that is not really true.

* A typical factory 12-gauge barrel measures about .724 inch. * Many popular turkey guns come with chokes with a .665 constriction, which shoots No. 5 or 6 lead shot extremely tight. * Super-tight turkey chokes — such as those with .660 constrictions — shoot small shot, such as No. 6, best. * Chokes with larger constrictions, such as .680, usually work best with larger shot — No. 4 or 5 — or in shotguns with back-bored barrels. * Hevi-shot produces the tightest patterns through chokes with constrictions of about .675. In testing, Hevi-shot fired through a special .675-constriction tube produced an average pattern density of 94 percent. Hevi-shot fired through a factory full choke (.691 constriction) produced an average pattern density of 88 percent in a 30-inch circle at 40 yards. * Hevi-shot fired through standard improved-cylinder chokes (.718 constriction) produced an average pattern density of 70 pecent, which is the industry standard for a “full” choke. When Hevi-shot is fired through chokes tighter than .665, pattern density begins to deteriorate.

Last edited by Topgun 3006; 03-04-2015 at 11:32 AM.
Old 03-04-2015, 02:55 PM
Spike

Thanks guys, I figured it would be ok,
Topgun 3006,
You know I am taking about a 20 ga not 12ga? 575" constriction choke would be equal or even looser than a 12 ga 660" constriction choke, and I don't mean equal in size cause the 12ga is lot bigger, but with the 20 ga shell being smaller and less shot would compare to a 12 ga shell and 660" choke, also I've heard a lot good things from the jellyhead for 12 gauge with standard #5 lead turkey loads. I'm going to go with the Remington nitro lead shot with the 20 ga, its lot less denser than other loads, and shouldn't deform its shape too much.
Old 03-04-2015, 05:17 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by NYlongbeards
Thanks guys, I figured it would be ok,
Topgun 3006,
You know I am taking about a 20 ga not 12ga? 575" constriction choke would be equal or even looser than a 12 ga 660" constriction choke, and I don't mean equal in size cause the 12ga is lot bigger, but with the 20 ga shell being smaller and less shot would compare to a 12 ga shell and 660" choke, also I've heard a lot good things from the jellyhead for 12 gauge with standard #5 lead turkey loads. I'm going to go with the Remington nitro lead shot with the 20 ga, its lot less denser than other loads, and shouldn't deform its shape too much.
Sorry, as I did completely miss that you were talking a 20 ga! Sounds good and I hope you get a good pattern with them!
Old 03-04-2015, 05:48 PM
Giant Nontypical

I shoot most my turkeys with an plain jane Winchester pump that came with the WinChoke tubes. I'm not really fancy. I simply screw in the full choke tube and go shoot turkeys. So far it has tipped them over just fine. I have also used an old Browning A-5 with the factory full choke barrel. It has sent a couple flopping too.
Old 03-04-2015, 07:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

I use the "ones" that say Extra full turkey choke on them.

I like the "extended" chokes, as you don't need a tool.

Call them in close and shoot them in the head - dead bird !
Old 03-06-2015, 04:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yea just screw in the choke and kill gobblers all day long every season lol

That Philosophy doesn't work when hunting weiry pressured gobblers!!!

NYlongbeards I'd take the time and fine what shoots the best in your gun that gives you a killing pattern out to 40 yards... "Some" Turkeys are hard to come buy and with gas prices the way they are I'll spend a little extra money to put the odds more in my favor
Old 03-06-2015, 07:10 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Mr. Longbeard

That Philosophy doesn't work when hunting weiry pressured gobblers!!!
I've never shot a longbeard beyond 30 yards - and I don't shoot birds with beards less then 6".

Maybe buy a rifle; that should give you even more range - LOL !!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.