Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
New "hunter" Need Advice/Assistance! >

New "hunter" Need Advice/Assistance!

Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

New "hunter" Need Advice/Assistance!

Old 10-10-2014, 10:00 PM
Spike

Default New "hunter" Need Advice/Assistance!

Hello! So I've had an interest in hunting for quite a long time, and finally have decided to jump on it. I'm more interested in archery hunting as opposed to guns, and have purchased a compound bow and am to the point of being accurate and continue to practice as much as possible. Here in Oklahoma, its fall archery turkey season. (Oct. 1st - Jan. 15th) I've heard it's hard to take a turkey with a bow, but I'm still determined do try my best. I've been reading as much as I can and watching many many videos on Youtube. This week I will be buying a Double Bull Dark Horse blind, decoys, hunting license (Completed Hunters safety course), orange clothes, box call (need practice using), and a couple seats for the blind. Things I have already: Diamond compound bow, (27'' draw length, 45lb draw weight) dozen or so arrows, range finder, mechanical tips, and release. (I'm sure I've missed a few things..)
Well, I'm still a teen so I'll have my dad along as a tag along though he doesn't know anything really about hunting either, my plans are to hunt on public land her in Oklahoma.
I'm so lost though with many questions.... How exactly does a hunting trip work/planned out? When your hunting on public land, do you only go for a couple days during the season and make a couple different trips? Do you HAVE to scout before hunting and still be successful? I've read its best to go during week days in the mornings, and walk at least 500 yards away from the parking lot because their are normally less hunters out. Once you are far out, do you set up everything, and start calling?
I'm honestly just so confused and don't know what to expect or really "how" to hunt? I need all the advice I can get and I'm sure I'll have many more questions. Thanks in advance to any and all help!!
Old 10-11-2014, 12:01 PM
Super Moderator

One main thing you need to do is scout the area you will be hunting. Look for scratchings, watch for travel routes, find their roosting trees. Now for fall hunting you should know all of the above. If you know their roost trees, you can bump them off the roost. Then you set up and call them back once its morning, Use a kee kee or a lost hen yelp to call the birds back to you. Or if you know the feeding pattern and travel routes you can set your blind up and wait. Good luck
Old 10-11-2014, 12:48 PM
Spike

So when your hunting on Public land, do you normally only go for the day and return home that night (And go hunting several different days that season) or do you stay for several days in a row and sleep close by motel/camping?
Old 10-11-2014, 12:56 PM
Super Moderator

Depends on how far away the public land is from home. I try to hunt as long as I can, whether that be all day or not. I hunt from a blind and Im perfectly fine sitting and waiting. Others may move around and try to find the birds. I make sure I bring things to eat in the blind if Im staying all day.
Old 10-11-2014, 01:04 PM
Spike

When you are going out to hunt, do you scout and hunt the same day? Can you still be successful if you don't do much scouting when determining where to place your blind, or should that just be getting lucky? And one last thing. Decoys? If I'm planning on hunting with a bow, I've read that most use decoys close to their blinds but many people say not to use decoys on public lands? Thanks for your replies!!
Old 10-13-2014, 05:20 PM
Super Moderator

I scout before season. You can still be successful but you really cut down your odds of killing one if ya don't do your homework.
Old 10-15-2014, 04:57 AM
Boone & Crockett

I have been scouting and seeing a lot of hens with the young birds.. Hardly ever seeing a tom anyplace.. Now with all the hunters out and about the hens are getting hard to find as well. I do have a flock showing up almost daily in my field up back.. But, they are always there when I am not.. Not sure if any toms are in the group as they are eating apples and dusting in my garden spot.. Hopefully a tom is in the group but I am doubtful of that one.. I will catch them sooner or later and see anyways.. If not i may shoot a hen as they are doing some real good hiding on me in most places now..
Old 10-15-2014, 06:16 PM
Giant Nontypical

Find the main water source.

Find the big stand of trees near by that have open branches for easy access to fly up & down.

Find feathers and droppings at the base of the current "roost tree".

Get in quietly and set-up +/- 100 yards away.

Bring a cushion and shooting sticks.

Call softly, until you get good.

Decoys help.

Remaining motionless is the best camo.

Most wear gloves and head & face covers.

They hate it when I say it but, call them in close and shoot them in the head - dead bird !

Good luck !!!

Last edited by Sheridan; 10-15-2014 at 06:48 PM.
Old 10-19-2014, 06:27 AM
JW
Super Moderator

You want help -then help yourself to the FAQ forum as many members have well written How To.

JW
Old 10-19-2014, 06:19 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by adrakeb
Hello! So I've had an interest in hunting for quite a long time, and finally have decided to jump on it. I'm more interested in archery hunting as opposed to guns, and have purchased a compound bow and am to the point of being accurate and continue to practice as much as possible. Here in Oklahoma, its fall archery turkey season. (Oct. 1st - Jan. 15th) I've heard it's hard to take a turkey with a bow, but I'm still determined do try my best. I've been reading as much as I can and watching many many videos on Youtube. This week I will be buying a Double Bull Dark Horse blind, decoys, hunting license (Completed Hunters safety course), orange clothes, box call (need practice using), and a couple seats for the blind. Things I have already: Diamond compound bow, (27'' draw length, 45lb draw weight) dozen or so arrows, range finder, mechanical tips, and release. (I'm sure I've missed a few things..)
Well, I'm still a teen so I'll have my dad along as a tag along though he doesn't know anything really about hunting either, my plans are to hunt on public land her in Oklahoma.
I'm so lost though with many questions.... How exactly does a hunting trip work/planned out? When your hunting on public land, do you only go for a couple days during the season and make a couple different trips? Do you HAVE to scout before hunting and still be successful? I've read its best to go during week days in the mornings, and walk at least 500 yards away from the parking lot because their are normally less hunters out. Once you are far out, do you set up everything, and start calling?
I'm honestly just so confused and don't know what to expect or really "how" to hunt? I need all the advice I can get and I'm sure I'll have many more questions. Thanks in advance to any and all help!!
Scouting is pretty important, especially for a new hunter who may not know what he is looking for to find a good hunting spot. Next year try to get out to scout more. As far as setting up and calling, generally you only get turkeys to respond to calls during the spring turkey season, fall hunting is mainly spot and stalk. Maybe search "fall turkey hunting" on the web and that will help. Double Bull blinds are awesome by the way,

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.