Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

What is up ??

Old 07-19-2014, 06:29 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default What is up ??

While I was on my way home from work this morning I saw a tom/jake with 3 hens.. They were back to going up a hill so I can not say for sure if a jake or tom. It looked as though the tom/jake may still have been breeding? I stopped and made 3 clucking sounds to see what would happen and I got a gobble back??? I have not heard hardly a gobble all threw my spring hunting season.. Is it not a bit late for this type of response??
Old 07-19-2014, 06:30 PM
JW
Super Moderator

Just like nay male of any other specie on the planet. Here the right words or right gesture or right sound and bingo........instant woody!

Don't surprise me. And no they are not mating!

But any lone hen (some hens do not nest) is fair game to follow.

I know where a group of 12 Toms are - I can make them gobble at just about any call I throw their way. The farmer would really like them all gone......and no dang fall season!

So we are looking at crop damage permits.

JW
Old 07-19-2014, 07:19 PM
Boone & Crockett

I can say it surprised me as I hardly heard any gobbles during our season at all.

There is no fall season in my area as well. But, around 2 1/2 hours down state there is. If I happen to be goeing down that way I can use my spring/fall permit to get 1..
Old 07-20-2014, 03:00 AM
Giant Nontypical

They gobble 12 months out of the year, we just aren't in the woods 12 months out of the year...

Sure, they gobble more in the spring when showing off for the hens but I have heard them on the roost in November going to town...
Old 07-20-2014, 03:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hens will get re-bred if they lose their nest. They'll keep getting bred until they bring off a brood. You see some mighty small poults in the fall sometimes. They are the results of these re-nesting efforts
Old 07-24-2014, 03:32 AM
Fork Horn

With the cold wet month of May in Maine, I suspect that many
clutches did not survive to hatch. I've seen many lone hens
during June/July or hens with toms---not a good sign. I have
heard of some broods but have not seen any myself which
is unusual. I will say there was plenty of gobbling going
on this spring in my part of the State of Maine.
Old 07-24-2014, 05:30 PM
Boone & Crockett

Up here in this part of the state hardly any gobbling at all. I did see 2 hens with clutches yesterday while travel the dirt roads.. They were where I shot my second tom at.. So hopefully they will survive the upcoming winter and give us more turkeys to hunt in the future.. Yeah, I am not sure what was going on with those birds I saw coming home from work.. I was quite surprised to have one gobble back at me..