Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Keeping spurs

Old 03-27-2012, 03:03 PM
EFH
Typical Buck

Default Keeping spurs

Alright guys, need some new ideas. I know everybody keeps their spurs and mine are just the small leg section, not the whole feet. I was wanting to know a good way to display them (besides a necklace) that would look good. If you have something for the entire leg that would be good for future birds, I'd like to hear too.
Old 03-27-2012, 07:14 PM
JW
Super Moderator

Just an idea
JW
Old 03-28-2012, 03:40 AM
EFH
Typical Buck

JW that's freakin awesome! Not sure I can pull that particular move off! Haha!
Old 03-29-2012, 12:43 PM
Typical Buck

Old 03-29-2012, 03:05 PM
EFH
Typical Buck

MKMGOBL, dude bet that bear wants his claws back! Haha!! Man those are some HOOKS!
Old 03-29-2012, 03:31 PM
Typical Buck

hahahah! Thanks My best WV gobbler so far. 23 pounds (bottomed out our camp scale), 10.5 inch
beard, 1-3/4” right spur and 1-5/8” left spur.

I do make up a nice spur and beard display that just about anyone can do in few hours. I'll find a photo of it and post for ya.
Old 03-29-2012, 05:42 PM
EFH
Typical Buck

MKMGOBL, that's impressive to say the least!! I've been in the turkey woods all my life and have been fortunate enough to take some really nice birds over the years but 1-3/4" and 1-5/8"..........that just hurts my feelings! Hahaha!!! Congrats! Looking forward to the pics, and good luck this season!
Old 03-30-2012, 05:30 AM
Typical Buck

I was very pleased with this one but hating life I didn't take it to the WV DNR office to be officially measured by them for the NWTF records I'm sure he would have made in the top 100 for spurs. Funny thing is, I thought my VT 2009 gobbler with 1-9/16" spur and broken 1-1/8" spur was going to be tough to beat but it happened. It goes to show, ya never know what each great time in the woods will bring ya

So here are a few photos of the easy DIY Beard & Spur display and the directions on how to make it. Once you get going you can modify the decorations, the leather lace to a pipe cleaner to keep its form or do anything you like. I just know this is an easy great way to show off those trophies without taking up a ton of wall space with a fan, spur and beard display. I hope you like the idea and show off what you come up with on your birds. Good Luck and Hunt Safe!

Here is the order I like to make this and things you'll need to do it.

A gobbler (beard & legs)
Shotgun hull (I like to use the one that killed the gobbler)
Hack saw or ban saw (be careful if using a ban saw)
Razor blade or sharp knife

Peroxide or Bleach
Brown/black leather lace from craft store or wire / pipe cleaner
Beads for the lace from craft store * see below
Hot glue or small tube of silicone caulking
Dremal tool * * see below
Punch or nail
Hammer
Piece of wire or coat hanger

* I like to use the natural color on my first one. I then added the red, white and blue color seeing those are the color associated with a gobbler.

* * The Dremal helps a lot with the cleaning of the turkey bone and used for engraving the stats on the brass.

First thing I like to do is get the spurs ready for the leather lace. Use the saw to cut on both sides of the spur about 1/4 of an inch. You may want to use the knife to cut the skin first before trying to saw the bone. Once you have those cut off you'll need to cut away the turkeys skin from the bone. This is where the Dremal come handy if you have one. If so, you can use a sanding disk to clean up the bone. Don't clean up too close to the spur itself! It may come off and if it does it OK, you just glue it back on. The wire or coat hanger is used to clean out the bone marrow. After you have the bone looking pretty clean inside and out let it dry for a few days. I also use the peroxide or bleach at this point to whiten up the bone.

So now while that's drying, you can get the shotgun shell ready. I just used a new razor blade to cut away the hull from the brass and then the punch or nail to hammer out the primer. You might want to practice this a few times on an old spent shell just in case you ended up goofing it up. You don't want to mess up on the shell you used to take your bird with.

Take out your leather lace or wire and start to add the beads and spurs however you like to have them. You may want to use wire to keep a nice form for displaying it. In the photos I post recently was done with a pipe cleaner and I like it. After you have you design worked out and you spur placement you're ready to add it to the brass. Run the leather lace through the brass and tie it off on the inside. Make sure you have the leather lace and your spur loop the way to want it! Now put some glue on the inside of the brass securing you knot. At this time I like to pack some tissue paper and glue into the brass. I do this so when I add the beard it isn't glued way up in the brass. After you added the tissue to where you like it, let it dry before gluing in the beard.

Again, make sure you know how you want your beard to be glued on before you glue it on for good. Look at your loop and the way the beard curls (if it does) to see if you have it all looking good. Glue the beard in and let dry.

All you need to do now is engrave your stats in the brass and you’re done! You own personal beard and spur mount
Old 03-30-2012, 11:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

I made a pair of book ends with the legs off my first bird... turned out pretty good