HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Turkey Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/turkey-hunting-5/)
-   -   Mossberg 835 overbored barrels (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/turkey-hunting/341698-mossberg-835-overbored-barrels.html)

turkey harvester 03-10-2011 09:48 AM

Mossberg 835 overbored barrels

I have a question, what is the difference between the overbored barrel and a regular barrel. Does it shoot better and does the oversized barrrel mess with the shot. I know they kick like a mule but most 3-3 1/2 does. It this a good gun or is there flaws I need to know? I don't know Help please.

Thunderchicken217 03-10-2011 11:42 AM

The 835 is a great gun. I personally have two of them. The over bored barrel does not effect the pattern of this gun at all. In fact this has been one the best turkey guns for a very long time. I love both of the guns I have and have no problem with patterns out to 50 yds. The only two flaws with these guns are of course the recoil and sometimes they will jam when trying to eject a 3 1/2" shell but other than that I would reccomend them to anyone. Hope this helps with your decision.

BOWHUNTERCOP 03-10-2011 01:58 PM

have the 835 for roughly 14 years, not a problem at all

Hurricanespg 03-10-2011 03:33 PM

An overbored barrel is simply a barrel that is larger than a standard sized barrel. Basically the 835 barrel is roughly the size of a 10ga barrel until it tapers back down to 12ga.
It generally shoots much better turkey patterns. It is always a good idea to at least deep clean if not polish a Mossberg barrel to get optimal results.

turkey harvester 03-14-2011 08:13 AM

Thanks guys I got it and I really like it, shoot a hell of a pattern.Appreciate the input

kdsberman 03-14-2011 12:13 PM

Its the king of turkey guns, you will love your new gun.

kpatte26 03-16-2011 09:27 PM

I recently read the artical on here about polishing a shotgun barrel... So I went to my trusty gun smith and ask him about doing such a thing because I generally end up screwing everything up... The first thing he did was ask what type of shotgun I had... My reply was an 835... He told me that polishing the barrel on the 835 would not help improve the pattern because the barrels are traditionally overbored and have a rough finish. He went on to explain that Mossberg has been making the barrels that way for the longest time. He called the factory about why they overbore the barrel and use the rough finish to which they stated it has to do with making the pattern even more round and getting the wadding to seperate from the load even more quickly so as to assist with making a more circular pattern.
I wont question Mossberg on their methods because I shoot a hell of a pattern all the way out to 60 yards and have no intentions of attempting to improve something that good! I know that I will never personally shoot a bird that far away but I sure as hell will practice that distance so that taking a 30 yard shot is a piece of cake!
Hope this helps!

Hurricanespg 03-17-2011 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by kpatte26 (Post 3787503)
I recently read the artical on here about polishing a shotgun barrel... So I went to my trusty gun smith and ask him about doing such a thing because I generally end up screwing everything up... The first thing he did was ask what type of shotgun I had... My reply was an 835... He told me that polishing the barrel on the 835 would not help improve the pattern because the barrels are traditionally overbored and have a rough finish. He went on to explain that Mossberg has been making the barrels that way for the longest time. He called the factory about why they overbore the barrel and use the rough finish to which they stated it has to do with making the pattern even more round and getting the wadding to seperate from the load even more quickly so as to assist with making a more circular pattern.
I wont question Mossberg on their methods because I shoot a hell of a pattern all the way out to 60 yards and have no intentions of attempting to improve something that good! I know that I will never personally shoot a bird that far away but I sure as hell will practice that distance so that taking a 30 yard shot is a piece of cake!
Hope this helps!

I am not trying to be mean, but your gunsmith is dead wrong in stating that polishing the barrel will not help improve the pattern.

kpatte26 03-17-2011 11:51 AM

Thanks for the input...
But like I said my pattern is sweet enough out to 60 yards and I personally will never shoot at a bird that far... I sure as hell will practice at that range so that when I get a 30-35 yard shot it will be a chip shot!!!
Hurricane... Did you read that I had an 835???
My gunsmith did state that polishing a barrel on a remington or browning will improve the pattern but they were not designed like the mossbergs which have the overbored barrel with a rough finish to the barrel.

Hurricanespg 03-17-2011 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by kpatte26 (Post 3787674)
Thanks for the input...
But like I said my pattern is sweet enough out to 60 yards and I personally will never shoot at a bird that far... I sure as hell will practice at that range so that when I get a 30-35 yard shot it will be a chip shot!!!
Hurricane... Did you read that I had an 835???
My gunsmith did state that polishing a barrel on a remington or browning will improve the pattern but they were not designed like the mossbergs which have the overbored barrel with a rough finish to the barrel.

I did read that you have a 835, and I am not saying that you do not have a good pattern or that you cannot get a good pattern.

I am simply stating a fact that your gunsmith is wrong about Mossberg barrels. Yes the 835 is overbored, yes it has a rough finish inside, and yes it will improve patterns to polish the rough barrel.

As a matter of fact out of all of the guns that I have polished the barrels on, the Mossbergs have improved the most. I surmise that is the case because they have a rough barrel to begin with.