Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
Fall Turkey Hunting Help Please >

Fall Turkey Hunting Help Please

Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Fall Turkey Hunting Help Please

Old 09-01-2009, 03:17 PM
Spike

Default Fall Turkey Hunting Help Please

I was hoping some people can give me some turkey hunting tips for the fall such as best time to hunt....decoys...best calls...etc I am a spring turkey hunter but decided to take the fall turkey hunting up as well. I have decided to make turkey hunting my passion and obsession...I hunt the central new york region....Thanks

Last edited by frankw08; 09-01-2009 at 03:20 PM.
Old 09-07-2009, 11:58 AM
Spike

Have no idea why your not getting any feedback on this as its a good topic. I know not all states have a fall season, most do I think. I know not all turkey hunters hunt fall turkeys because usually its about ambush and not run and gun stuff.

As I do not claim to be an expert but everytime I have hunted fall turkey I have had success. This is my plan for this fall: I locate roosting areas and forage areas. I locate these be picking smaller wooded areas near cut crop fields that have cover but not dense cover as predators use those areas to hide in and the turkeys know it. Is a water source near by, Once I have located a couple of roosting areas I try to pattern out where the route of travel is going to be and ambush them between the roost and feeding areas or on their return trip. Patience and persistence is the key or so I think......but then again......

Thats how I have done it and am going to do it this year. I already located the roosting areas and feeding fields and have been out watching in the mornings and evening.
Old 09-07-2009, 01:24 PM
JW
Super Moderator

Find the flock feeding - run at them and bust them up. First sneak as close as you can and then run at them.

Try to scatter in all directions. Then pick a place and concetrate on the loners that flew off by clucking and kee-keeing. You will call them back.

Or like above if you find the roost area - sit that late afternoon - they will come back.

Both have worked very well for me

JW
Old 09-08-2009, 03:49 PM
Spike

I am hunting by a creek decently wide....in the spring they tend to roost on the land across from the field I have permission to hunt...that said I usually sit across the field on my property...in the spring I had 7-8 turkeys gobbling at a time...they do feed into the field sometimes all the way to me and sometimes not
Old 09-09-2009, 12:48 PM
Fork Horn

fall you really have to know their pattern, best advice i could give is pinpoint their routes and wait for em. they tend to have a more predictable pattern in fall
Old 09-10-2009, 05:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

If you have a good idea where they are roosting and have permission to hunt there, you are golden..

Simply get into the roost area well before daylight, and listen for the birds to start talking at dawn...Sometimes they make a lot of noise, sometimes they only yelp and cluck very softly, but they usually make SOME noise to give away thier position..Sometimes you may just hear thier feathers rustling as they get ready to fly down...As soon as you hear turkey sounds in the trees, walk through the area and flush the birds from the trees, scattering them as well as possible...

After the flush, set up in the same general area , wait a few minutes, and then start hen yelping or kee-keeing.. It can be lots of fun..Sometimes you'll have several birds calling and converging on your setup from different directions..

You can also wait near the roost area in the evening and listen for the birds to fly up, and then scatter them and hunt the area the next morning...Often, however, if you scatter them in the evening, the old hens will often sit up in thier roost trees the next morning and call the poults together beneath them, and then fly down and march off.. I have had much more consistent success by scattering them in the morning..
Old 09-10-2009, 02:33 PM
Spike

what is the best call to use...slate or box, ive got all calls but mouth calls, i have difficulty with the mouth calls
Old 09-11-2009, 04:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

Use whichever call you feel most confident with... The calling does not have to be fancy...All you really need to imitate is a basic hen yelp... It's nice to be able to make other calls, such as the whistle or kee-kee, but that's just gravy.. If you can do a simple yelp, you can call turkeys, spring or fall... Keep it simple...Hot, excited calls like cutts and cackles are not necessary...

After a scatter, the birds will usually start calling on thier own after a few minutes...If you hear a turkey calling, try to imitate it with basically the same cadence..

If no birds call right away, have patience..Just give a string of 6 or 8 yelps every few minutes and sit tight..Sometimes it takes them awhile to get over thier fright and start to respond...Other times, they may start calling within minutes after a scatter...
Old 09-11-2009, 12:24 PM
Spike

I plan on starting to scout next weekend the season opens up October 1. I plan on going to the same spot I got my first turkey in this past spring and where I know there are multiple birds located. I am giving up deer hunting to be solely dedicated to turkey hunting
Old 09-11-2009, 03:04 PM
Fork Horn

All good advice! This is a good topic! I personally love fall turkey hunting more than spring. The season is longer in Missouri, (the whole month of Oct.) and you may shoot either sex of bird. Which can lead to more success for new turkey hunters. Plus you can really hone your stalking and ambush skills for the following deer season. If you can sneak up on a turkey and kill it, as I have many times, you can stalk anything. You can walk em out and shoot them on the fly, or kill them on the ground by stalking close. You can bust them up and call em back, or ambush them to or from the roost or feeding sites. It's certainly never boring anyway! But the best part is you can scout deer while hunting turkeys and enjoy the fall weather while touring your entire hunting grounds.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.