Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
Fall Turkey Hunting Help Please >

Fall Turkey Hunting Help Please

Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Fall Turkey Hunting Help Please

Old 09-12-2009, 10:19 AM
Spike

I am giving up deer hunting to be solely dedicated to turkey hunting[/quote] take a bow and you can do both . Its hard to believe how much fun those birds can be.
Old 09-12-2009, 06:30 PM
Spike

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EjQxwHYAuwc

No one has mentioned this, and this is a bit advanced, but get a good dog. This follows the same advice as find a flock and bust it, but you just delegate that work to someone far more qualified -- that dog can smell, run, and cover ground better than you could ever hope.

Fall turkey hunting with dogs is legal there in NY. I'm from the western part of VA, the epicenter of fall turkey hunting with dogs. It's a ton of fun. If you get into the fall hunting, it's something to think about.

My dad has one of the Appalachian Turkey Dogs they talk about in the video -- though his looks more like a setter than a pointer. But believe the hype, they are something special. Tough teaching a good bird dog a lot of bad habbits in the eyes of an upland game hunter will work just fine
Old 09-13-2009, 09:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

This will be my 5th year hunting fall birds. I love it. Alot of good comments in the post for you to consider. Here are a couple more. Food sources are going to vary this time of year and will likely concentrate the flock for a reasonable amount of time. Here in Kentucky, the birds normally roost in the hardwoods along creeks then fly down and head towards the near-by fields in the early season. Which fields they show up in likely depends on the number of insects present. I can attest that 100% of the fall field turkey I've killed are in fields with heavy grasshoppers and crickets. Later, after the first freeze, I'll find them around mast crops. That time of year they are really easy to locate, just look for the leaves torn up to look like dozens of deer scraps in the same area. If you decide to bust up the flock, just sit in the general area and be patient. It seems completely unnatural for you to do, but they will reassemble unless they all took off in the same direction. I've had little Jennies walk within 5 yards of me, softly kee-keeing and single note yelping looking for mama. Like I said before- I love it!
Old 09-13-2009, 10:57 AM
Giant Nontypical

Scout the area you are hunting in well.

Pattern their daily routines.

Set up on their route.

Call infrequent ans softly (mostly feeding peeps)

Use decoys if you have them.

Go get'em !!!
Old 09-28-2014, 08:07 AM
Spike

Default Turkey Hunting CNY

I'm new at hunting in general. I went turkey hunting in the spring (no luck) I'm going to try fall as well... also going to try deer this year. I'm looking for an experienced hunter that may want a hunting buddy.. kinda pass on wisdom and tips/tricks etc...
Old 09-28-2014, 09:50 AM
Spike

Although I don't do much Turkey hunting as I've only taken 3. Im mainly a waterfowl and big game guy. I took all three in the fall season. You need to find were the roost and their feeding and travel patterns. Just watch them for a couple of days and see were they tend to go feed, their common paths, and roosting spots. Then setup on one of the roosts, paths, or feeding spots. Hunting a roost will probably a near dark shot, while a path will be a better option earlier in the day when they head to feed or are returning to roost. Path hunting is good if they have a solid routine in. Hunting over feed is good as the turkeys will be pre-occupied on eating and won't be as skittish. I've gotten all of mine were the path opens up to the feeding spot.
Old 09-30-2014, 06:42 PM
Spike

U can also try sitting down and hen yelp and cut, a lot. Ive had tom groups come in in the fall doing this, lone hens, too. I believe the toms come just out of curiosity as to what the commotion is about.
Old 10-04-2014, 01:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

Turkeys have finally invaded my local deer hunting spots, thanks goodness, and a flock has been living near my deer stand since spring. I seen them opening day of bow season and watched them pass by barely out of bow range. I will be taking a call with me this morning. Not sure about a turkey decoy since I am hunting deer as well.

Didn't know anything about busting the flock until I read this thread, I will have to try that on a dedicated turkey fall hunt.
Old 10-05-2014, 08:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

Wow! The turkey hunting forum is slow. Maybe everyone is still bickering about politics, oh well.

I scored on my first fall turkey and my very first with archery this year. I brought a slate call this morning to the usual deer hunting spot. Luckily the birds where roosting very close to me. I called in the first one to take ground. Surprisingly all the rest of the turkeys flew off the roost within bow range!

It was just a matter of shooting the biggest bird before I got busted. Turkeys can easily bust you in a treestand from my experience. Good luck everyone.
Old 10-08-2014, 04:32 PM
Spike

I have never seen as many turkeys as I have this fall. I honestly think they are eating so many acorns it will effect the deer feeding patterns. If there is any rain and they are in the fields I see 100-150 in a day. I took a small jake opening day with the rain picking up it made a wet soggy day a little better. In Vermont we can only take one bird in the fall. A couple hours later I had another flock at 6 yards in front of the blind for 20 minutes. All I could do was sit and watch.

Last edited by livcoop; 10-08-2014 at 04:39 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.