Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 Do nesting hens roost at night? >

Do nesting hens roost at night?

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Do nesting hens roost at night?

Old 05-12-2003, 07:46 AM

Default Do nesting hens roost at night?

I' m showing my ignorance once again. [] About this time every year I wonder the same thing. After the hens have been bred and are nesting/laying eggs, do they continue to fly up into trees to roost at night, or do they remain on the ground on their nests all night long? (The reason I wonder about this at this time every year is when I see/hear birds fly up at roost time I wonder if they are all toms, or if they include either " unbred" hens, or if all turkeys, including nesting hens fly up to roost every night.) I suppose I could research the question and not publicize my ignorance, but we had so much fun with the turkey penis thing that I thought maybe we could do the same on this one. Your brilliant wisdom is solicited.
Old 05-12-2003, 04:24 PM
Spike

Default RE: Do nesting hens roost at night?

Don' t feel bad. I' d like to know the answer to this one too
Old 05-12-2003, 06:04 PM
Typical Buck

Snowdog, all I know is what I' ve been told. that a hen that is settin will stay on her nest night and day. except for leavin the nest in the daytime to feed, drink, and dust.
but, last week, the last week of our season, I saw one hen fly up on the roost at dark, and 5 more hens fly off the roost right after dawn.
now, either the " hens stay on their nest night and day" is a myth, or the breedin season was runnin way late this year, or these hens hadn' t been bred, which is unlikely, since those 5 were with a jake. not sure, but I do know that this has been the worst season ever for gobblin here on our lease.
Old 05-12-2003, 08:00 PM
Giant Nontypical

Yeah once they start nesting they sit on it during the night.
Old 05-13-2003, 07:29 AM

More specific, during the time they are laying eggs (one per day), they will still roost at night. Once she is done laying she will stay on nest night and day, other then brief periods during the warmth of day to eat and drink. Once the eggs hatch I believe she will still stay on the ground until the young are able to fly (about 2 weeks or so). (I think I got that right anyway )
Old 05-13-2003, 10:31 AM

Thanks for the info. I went to the NWTF site and got a partial answer that seemed to confirm this view, although it didn' t come right out and say it. Also, my hunting buddy reminded me that some of those turkeys are probably " Jennies" --sexually immature hens (like " Jakes" are sexually immature toms)--and so some or possibly all of those roosting hens might not be nesting/laying.

I guess I needn' t feel frustrated, then, when I have roosted (via flapping wing sounds, only) turkeys at night and don' t hear/see a gobbler at the roost site/at flydown in the morning, as there may not have been a tom with the hens and jennies. I thought it was me, and that maybe the toms just didn' t want to play/didn' t like me. Now I will conclude in similar situations that the turkeys I heard fly up were all female.
Old 05-13-2003, 05:58 PM
Typical Buck

I thought it was me, and that maybe the toms just didn' t want to play/didn' t like me.
LOL! that' s the way I' ve felt ever since I started huntin them big birds.
I' ve had to eat humble pie a many a time when huntin turks.
Old 05-14-2003, 08:43 AM
Typical Buck

..i agree with strut,but believe this they will also leave the nest for a short time to feed at night..
Old 05-14-2003, 11:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

What about if accidentally you bump one off a nest? Will she return? I did this a few years ago, and a buddy of mine told me she would not. Personally I don' t believe it.
Old 05-14-2003, 02:04 PM

I agree with RayC' s take on things. Not sure about the answer to your question though, WV Hunter. I would think that she would return as long as one didn' t contaminate the nest with human scent.......but that' s just a guess.

Quick Reply: Do nesting hens roost at night?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.