Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Turkey choke

Old 06-09-2009, 05:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Turkey choke

Will a benelli choke tube work in a stoeger 2000?I patternd it today at 40 yards and got 7 pellets of 5 shot in the ''kill zone''.2 in the brain and 5 in the neck.Is this good enough for turkey hunting or should I try a different choke.thanks
Old 06-09-2009, 06:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Turkey choke

Personally, I would not shoot at 40 yards with that pattern.
Old 06-10-2009, 02:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

If your choke/shell combination will do that every time, I'd say you've got a good combination at 40 yd.. The old standard for a killing pattern was three pellets in the "kill zone". That was before specialized turkey loads or hevi-shot and choke tubes. My personal standard is 20 pellets or more in the head/neck of which 5-10 need to be lethal.
Old 06-10-2009, 05:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Draw a 10" circle around your pattern and count the hits. If you put >100 pellets in that circle in a pretty even pattern with no noticable holes, you should be good to go. That head/neck could be anywhere in that 10" circle between when you have him in your sights and when you pull the trigger. An even pattern will tell you much more than how many shots you have in the 'kill zone'.
Old 06-10-2009, 06:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: RIStrutStopper

Draw a 10" circle around your pattern and count the hits. If you put >100 pellets in that circle in a pretty even pattern with no noticable holes, you should be good to go. That head/neck could be anywhere in that 10" circle between when you have him in your sights and when you pull the trigger. An even pattern will tell you much more than how many shots you have in the 'kill zone'.
ditto
Old 06-11-2009, 05:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: RIStrutStopper

+1
It's always a good idea to check your patterns with all your chokes.They're designed to give best results at different ranges and you need to find out what they are with the loads you'll be using.
Old 06-11-2009, 06:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

Also, make sure you shoot at a large piece of paper to ensure you are drawing your circle around the densist part of the pattern. You can then adjust your sights to be sure you're putting the most pellets where it counts. Its probably best to leave those turkey head targets at home and shoot at a small spot on a 3x3 sheet of paper.
Old 06-13-2009, 04:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

I drew a 8'' circle and 32 hit it,fairly even pattern.I cut out the turkey target ''kill zone'',it want go through it without 3 pellets hitting the vitals.(40 yards).Is this good enough for turkey hunting or not?I have not bought another choke tube,I just use the factory one.
Old 06-13-2009, 05:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: 13pointjomc

I drew a 8'' circle and 32 hit it,fairly even pattern.I cut out the turkey target ''kill zone'',it want go through it without 3 pellets hitting the vitals.(40 yards).Is this good enough for turkey hunting or not?I have not bought another choke tube,I just use the factory one.
In my opinion no it is not good enough for turkey hunting. The general rule is that you need 100 evenly distributed pellets in a 10" circle at any given yardage to assure a clean kill. Your pattern falls quite short of that even while making the circle smaller.
The problem with looking at how many pellets hit in the "kill zone" comes into factor when the turkey is not standing in the exact same position that the target normally is.....that is why we use a 10" circle as a guide.
I would recommend that if you want to shoot at that range you either get better ammunition, a better choke, or both.
Good luck.
Old 06-13-2009, 07:58 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: Hurricanespg

ORIGINAL: 13pointjomc

In my opinion no it is not good enough for turkey hunting. The general rule is that you need 100 evenly distributed pellets in a 10" circle at any given yardage to assure a clean kill. Your pattern falls quite short of that even while making the circle smaller.
The problem with looking at how many pellets hit in the "kill zone" comes into factor when the turkey is not standing in the exact same position that the target normally is.....that is why we use a 10" circle as a guide.
I would recommend that if you want to shoot at that range you either get better ammunition, a better choke, or both.
Good luck.

I agree with hurricane...

Quick Reply: Turkey choke

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.